VMware Cloud Community
tomaddox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Host cannot connect to license server

One of my ESX hosts, which has been running fine for close to two years, has suddenly stopped being able to connect to the license server. When I check the licensing page, it says that the ESX Server Edition is Unlicensed. I have verified that there are sufficient licenses available, and FlexLM reports that everything is fine from its perspective. I can perform forward and reverse name lookups and ping the license server from the affected host, and the firewall is set to permit the license client. I have rebooted the host, and I have deleted it from Virtual Center and reconnected it.

Has anyone seen this problem and/or know of a fix?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Rockapot
Expert
Expert

Have you checked that the ports are open between the ESX host and the License server?

Whilst the ESX firewall may permit the client outbound, the ports on the physical network may not be open, posibly due to an internal change on the firewall's etc..

Carl

0 Kudos
dkfbp
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Have you tried

1. restart flexlm license service

2. restart virtual center server (if your license server is on the vc server.)

Best regards

Frank Brix Pedersen

Best regards Frank Brix Pedersen blog: http://www.vfrank.org
0 Kudos
tomaddox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ten other servers are able to connect and get their licenses, and they have no problems. There are no firewalls between the servers, in any case.

0 Kudos
tomaddox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've tried restarting the services, but I have not yet rebooted the server. I guess I'll give that a shot when I get the chance.

0 Kudos
tomaddox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The solution was to shut down Virtual Center and, while that's down, restart mgmt-vmware, vmware-vpxa, and vmware-vmkauthd on the affected host, then restart VC.

0 Kudos
Kahonu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What is vmkauthd?

0 Kudos