VMware Communities
mrudloff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = “TRUE” doesn't work anymore ?

I tried to install the latest ESX build (3.5 Build 3) onto the latest build of vmware workstation (6.5.1) but when booting up the vm I receive the following error :

Any help is highly appreciated ..

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

From the looks of it, you are having dual quotes around your "TRUE" value. The error in the screenshot isn't complaining about the variable itself, but about your usage of it.

For the record, I have ESX3iU3 here running on VMware workstation 6.5.1 and VMware Server 2.0 and it runs fine with that variable.

Here's a snippet of my vmx file:

monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "TRUE"

If you are not able to resolve this then attach the .vmx file to your reply here.

--

Wil

Visit the new VMware developers wiki at http://www.vi-toolkit.com

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

From the looks of it, you are having dual quotes around your "TRUE" value. The error in the screenshot isn't complaining about the variable itself, but about your usage of it.

For the record, I have ESX3iU3 here running on VMware workstation 6.5.1 and VMware Server 2.0 and it runs fine with that variable.

Here's a snippet of my vmx file:

monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = "TRUE"

If you are not able to resolve this then attach the .vmx file to your reply here.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
mrudloff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Mmm... Gonna try it in a minute again - but it seems that 6.5.1 even works fine without the line ...

Gimme a few minutes ... I check the variable again ...

0 Kudos
mrudloff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Bingo - you are right, good catch .. must have been a copy / paste error - it is now working fine Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Cool, glad to hear it resolved your problem.

Thanks for the points!

--

Wil

0 Kudos
dtracey
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Guys,

At the risk of digging up an old thread - just wanted to say that I had this same issue with esx4 inside wks6.5.1 build-126130.

I was following the[Xtravirt guide|http://xtravirt.com/xd10089]to installing esx4 inside wks - and copied and pasted the line ' monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = “TRUE” ' into my esx4 .vmx file.

When i subsequently started the machine i received the error quoted above regarding the value ""TRUE"" being incorrect.

i input the line manually and it was fine so it looks like Notepad may add some 'hidden' quotes when copy/pasting sometimes?

Cheers,

Dan

0 Kudos
patrick137
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

have the same problem as Dan with esx4.0 WS 6.5.3 , any sugestions? I checked the .vmx file - no double quotes there!

Cheers,

Pat

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

post the vmx

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
UsulMuaDib
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wila already gives the solution

when you copy and paste from your pdf document

= “TRUE”

different

= "TRUE"

its due to ascii code

in this forum you don't see the difference

try to tape "TRUE" and it will work

0 Kudos
nilukamail
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi guys, I have same problem but with different out put, as you guys advice I typed the line and now i am getting different errors when I power up the ESX server.

many thanks for the answer

neil

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you have different output then you don't have the same problem and you don't have the same problem! Smiley Wink

You cannot run 64-bit nested VM's.

0 Kudos