VMware Communities
richany2
Contributor
Contributor

Not able to move mouse pointer freely between host and guest windows

Before today, I was able to move my mouse pointer freely between host and guest windows, but now I have a problem. Whenever I click within the guest window, my mouse pointer is locked with the guest window area. It means the mouse does not have access to the host window areas. I can move the mouse pointer out of the guest winder only by CTRL-ALT twice. Right before this happened I made change to the pointer scheme. For what I do, I need to be able to move the mouse pointer freely between the host and guest windows.

BTW I have Window XP 32 for both my host and guest OS.

I have VM workstation 6

0 Kudos
3 Replies
richany2
Contributor
Contributor

I just figured the cause of my problem. I have the display pointer trails box checked after I changed the pointer scheme. After I unchecked that box, I can now move my mouse pointer freely between the guest window and host window. Wonder if this is some thing that can be fixed with updated tools. It would be nice to have the pointer trails for what I do because I need to move the mouse quickly and freequently and know where it is as it moves.

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

>> I have the display pointer trails box checked after I changed the pointer scheme.

Strange as it seems, try this as a workaound (at least with a Vista VM). Suspend the VM and then resume it. Nuisance but works here, with pointer trails.

Lou

0 Kudos
avin
Contributor
Contributor

Problem persists - I encountered it today on VMWare 7. Running three monitors and constatnly "losing" the  mouse, so turned on the pointer trails and problems started...

0 Kudos