Contributor

problem with renaming VM

I am trying to rename Virtual Center server which is VM

1. vmware-cmd -s unregister /vmfs/volumes/datastore/vm/vmold.vmx

2. mv /vmfs/volumes/datastore/vm-old /vmfs/volumes/datastore/vm-new

3. cd /vmfs/volumes/datastore/vm-new

4. vmkfstools -E vm-old.vmdk vm-new.vmdk

5. find . -name ‘.vmx' -print -exec sed -e 's/vm-old/vm-new/g' {} \;

Number 5 is where I get error message missing an argument '-exec" ?????

What am I missing?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
bggb29
Expert
Expert

A easy way to do this is would be to right click the guest and rename it.

The vmotion the server to a new host and the files will all get renamed

as well

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Vmotion? or do you mean cold migrate ( or storage vmotion )? a standard vmotion does nothing with the files. It simply moves the running of the VM from one host to another.

0 Kudos
vmmax2479
Contributor
Contributor

correct, vmotion will not do renaming. so since this VM is VC i cannotdo cold migrate

for other servers no problem

0 Kudos
apatel1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

One thing you could do is just create a new VM with the correct name and attach your existing, correctly-named VMDK to this VM. You've unregistered the VM already, so I don't think you'd be losing much by creating a new VM. The only problem is that, since your /vmfs/volumes/datastore/vm-new already exists with the VMDK files, creating a new VM called vm-new will cause the new VMX file to go to /vmfs/volumes/datastore/vm-new_1. What you could do is the following to get around this:

1. Create /vmfs/volumes/datastore/vm-new_1 (or anything else, this is just a temporary location)

2. Move all of the VM files to the directory you created in #1 and, after verifying that it is empty, delete the /vmfs/volumes/datastore/vm-new directory.

3. Create a new VM called vm-new, have stored in datastore, and don't give it any virtual hard disks during the creation.

4. Move the VMDKs back to /vmfs/volumes/datastore/vm-new

5. Edit the VM configuration and add the existing virtual disk that is in /vmfs/volumes/datastore/vm-new.

Hope that helps! Please help me out by marking my response as "helpful" or "correct" if you feel that it was useful!

-Amit

Please help me out by awarding points for a "helpful" or "correct" response if you feel that it was useful! -Amit
Rabie
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not sure what you are trying to do, but what I do know is your find statement is missing an slash Smiley Happy

Yours:

find . -name '*.vmx*' -print -exec sed -e 's/vm-old/vm-new/g' {} \;

Should have:

find . -name '*.vmx*' -print -exec sed -e 's/vm-old/vm-new/g' \{} \;

The first curlybrace and the semicolon needs to be escaped with an backslash

(Donno if the line above is displaying correctly, sometimes the forum chucks some chars ... ah I needed

to slap some markup language arround the 'code')

Regards

Rabie

vmmax2479
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you All. got my answer

0 Kudos