VMware Communities
quick_learner
Contributor
Contributor

The setup failed to generate the SSL keys necessary to run VMware Server

Hi there,

well i did that, empyted the TEMP folder, and deleted all other left entry from vmware and checked the date on my pc but still the same problem.

Funny enough, i have installed the same vmware workstation on other pc (just to test)

and was fine and im using it, but here it just won't install.

Maybe a previous version left something and i can't install another now, like blacklisted my pc!!

any help here please???

Thank you.

13 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Open a cmd - type "openssl.exe"

When you get anything different then "file not found" do this:

locate the file openssl.exe - it is somewhere in your path - and rename it to openssl.exe-org

Run setup again - when finished - rename openssl.exe-org back to openssl.exe

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

quick_learner
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for the reply.

Well, i tried to try that before and again i couldn't find it, actually i found OPENSSL.EXE-04919655.pf in C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch

(actually you meant to type in Run the openssl.exe? or in the prompt command? tried both didn't work. then searched. i may have got you wrong.

i believe worked for you, and i wanted to try everything.worse comes the last, i may format it. has to work here.)

also in the registry i found the openssl.exe as a value under the tree Current user - software - microsoft - search assistant - ACMru - 5603

so i tried to rename these files and nothing again, same error. Although the value in the registry don't think it matters.

I did try already to short the name like C:\VMware\Worksation but got the same error.

Also checked my time and date, they're up to date.

Any further help please, will be much appreciated. (really need it)

am i right in thinking that there's something here that won't let VMware to install? Because on my mate's PC beside me installed fine.

Is there any way i can work around this openssl.exe file?

Thank you once more.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

sorry - missed your answer ...

very early in the setup VMware creates ssl-keys by calling a tempoarary openssl.exe with special parameters.

If your system already has a version of openssl inside its searchpath this may fail.

Thats why you should open a cmd-box and type openssl.exe

If you have a version of openssl somewhere in your path this command will show this.

So if you type openssl.exe and get anything other than "not found" - you must locate your already installed openssl.exe and temporarily renmae it

VMware-liveCD:

quick_learner
Contributor
Contributor

i see, thanks.

i tried again and the same, unfortunately.

not doing it right i think, about the oppening a cmd and typing openssl.exe, i'm on a XP pro, and all i get is Windows cannot find...

or after typed cmd in the prompt command, you know, not a valid command...

it's clear now, but i think i don't have a openssl.exe installed already, well and if i do, i can't find it. There was and entry in the registry as i mentioned before. (i've deleted it.)

Also found the a openssl.exe in the \Temp\{A3FF5CB2-FB35-4658-8751-9EDE1D65B3AA} folder....renamed it....and didn't work. deleted it and didn't work either. But i believe is the one from VMware (the one just tried to install) already.

Now i think this openssl may have been left from a previous version of VMware. Is that possible? I so i guess i still have to find it and rename it right? And where would it be?

And if i don't have an openssl.exe installed already, what would be the problem then? and how to overcome it?

Look, i really appreciate what you're doing here, thank you for what you did so far. Hopefuly we'll get this to work. As it must.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hmmm - looks like it doesn't have anything to do with an already existing openssl.exe ... sorry - at them moment I am running out of ideas Smiley Sad

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
cnatiez
Contributor
Contributor

Ran into the same problem. Had VMWare Server 2 installed on an XP home for testing purpose. Was astonished it worked on XP home (remember VMWare Server 1 did not install on XP home). The XP home machine was accessed via VNC. Some problems occurred (VMWare Server 2 Web interface was not accessible from outside, only from the machine itself). Location of problem source difficult (firewall settings ok, ports open etc). I decided to uninstall VMWare Server 2 and reinstall it with proper DNS credentials etc for the web interface. Reinstallation subsequently failed due to the SSL keys issue. I've redownloaded the installation package from vmware, in vain. I've removed VIX, in vain too. VMWare Server still can't generate the SSL keys. There's no file openssl.* on the system. So, boogey, what's the problem creating ssl keys? The machine even has an url consisting of a fully qualified domain name (www..) and is available to the web. So why would the VMware Server 2 installer not be able to generate SSL keys?

Somehow I have the feeling the first installation must have left a registry entry that prevents the installer to generate SSL keys. Does anybody by any chance know which entry? Or does anybody have a clue what causes the ssl issue?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

did you try kb 1308 ?

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
cnatiez
Contributor
Contributor

TNX FOR THE HINT. Checking out KB1308 brought me to the following discussion: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/90450

I can confirm that after clearing the \windows\temp directory completely with exception of the file in use AND disabling Panda Internet Security Suite the installation of VMware Server 2 on Windows XP home edition worked perfectly. Server is now up and running debian linux on a virtual machine.

Unfortunately, I did not log previously whether I had Panda Internet Security active or not. I think, though, deactivating AV etc was one of the first measurements after the ssl generation error, but, as said, I didn't log it. So, most likely it's the stuff in the windows\temp folder. Possibly it was the influence of Panda.

Cheers, Chris

0 Kudos
Tolga201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ;

I restarted the server then I installed.I couldn't understand the problem why it happened, but there isn't any problem after restart.

Sincerely.

0 Kudos
Perry_Godfrey
Contributor
Contributor

The only thing that worked for me was uninstalling all the JRE versions and let the vCenter Update manger install its own JRE versions (which I found to be

1.6.0_24) and it all worked after this.  The current version that was on the system was 1.6.0_29
0 Kudos
vsezde
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

It seems openssl.exe that is included in distribution of VMware Workstation v6.5.x is broken (or not working any longer for some reason).

I managed to replace openssl.exe file with working file (I took it from elsewhere) during installation.

This solved my issue and allowed me successful installation.

Best wishes

0 Kudos
Kennade
Contributor
Contributor

This solution worked fine in 2019

0 Kudos
wizard99
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Community,

I found a work around by experimenting and doing some research by installing on different laptops and systems.

For a step by step procedure, please visit the below link where I have prepared the presentation on how to resolve this error.

Solved- Setup failed to generate the SSL keys necessary to run VMware - YouTube

0 Kudos