VMware Cloud Community
Karunakar
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Cannot add shared lun to the storage pool in ESX 3.0.1

Hi,

I have a shared lun, which is mapped to 5 esx servers.

This is formatted to vmfs partition and is being used in other ESX server, apart from one server.

When trying to rescan the particular vmhba1, and refresh the storage pool from VC, this shared lun should be seen on the ESX, but this does not happen,

This lun has multiple paths, so chaged the active path to other paths available, but still no help.

Any inputs are helpfull.

Thanks,

Karunakar

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
atbnet
Expert
Expert

Do you have another hba such as vmhba2?

I have found you need to refresh all vmhba's before seeing a LUN, reason being the vmhba currently being used needs to be rescanned and then the LUN appears for all apaptors.

Andy, VCP,

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.

Andy Barnes
VCP / VCA-DT / MCITP:EA / CCIA
Help, Guides and How Tos... www.VMadmin.co.uk

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.
atbnet
Expert
Expert

Also I assume that all zoning is configured correctly and this ESX server does not happen to be missed out?

Andy, VCP,

Andy Barnes
VCP / VCA-DT / MCITP:EA / CCIA
Help, Guides and How Tos... www.VMadmin.co.uk

0 Kudos
Karunakar
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes , I have tried to rescan the second vmhba, but no results.

And yes the zoning was done correctly, as Iam able to see the lun on esx, when I try to make " add to storage" and select the "disk / lun" option , there I can see that lun, ready to add the storage, but i can not do that as it will reformat the whole disk .

-Karunakar

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Have you confirmed from the command line that LUN is not being seeing - checking with command ls /vmfs/volumes/ - if you see it in that output try restarting the hostd agent - service mgmt-vmware restart - all this has to be done logged in as root -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Karunakar
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes, nothing is displayed of the lun in /vmfs/volumes.

tried to restart both the hostd and mgmt-vmware services, but no help.

-Karunakar

0 Kudos
Karunakar
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Fianlly finally , tried all the ways to add the shred lun , did all the rescans and nothing helped.

Then had to move all the machine out of themachine and reboot the machine, this helped.

The shared lun came in to the storage pool smoothly after a reboot.

Thanks all for the help given.

-Karunakar

0 Kudos