VMware Cloud Community
ineonet
Contributor
Contributor

Impossible to add ESXi in VC 2.5

hello,

I have downloaded the latest version of ESXi and installed it on an USB key.

It works very well and I want to add this server in my VC 2.5 but I have the following error message : Failed to install the virtualcenter agent.

If i try to start the VC agent from my ESXi, I get this error message : error configuring the host.

any ideas ?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Forums - Do you have the license to add the ESXi host to VC? ESXi does not come with any vc agent licenses?

If you find this answer or any other useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
ineonet
Contributor
Contributor

yes I had my ESXi in my License server and I have a Vmware Infrastructure Enterpise license.

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

As far as I know, self-installing ESXi on a USB key is not supported and can cause problems. I played around with this setup and had nothing but problems. As soon as I installed ESXi on physical disks, all the problems went away.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
ineonet
Contributor
Contributor

I'm going to test on a physical drive...

I tried on an USB key because I have seen that lots of companies (like IBM or HP) sold thier server with ESX on an USB key....

0 Kudos
Karunakar
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

The first question is did you remove the USB after the ESXi is up and running, if yes, then you must replace it back.

As when you try to add esx to vc, the machine tried to add files in to the USB.

Second option to resolve the issue is :

Try to create a folder called "vmware-root " in /tmp and then try to add the machine to VC server.

-Karunakar

Goodspd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I've been at a customer implementing ESXi, he bought from HP 2 ESXi Enterprise but has come installed from factory and licenced using a Serial Number, we've tried within VMware site to retrieve the enterprise licenses to connect those ESXi with VC but with no luck, we've openned a case with Vmware and they sent us the licenses but TRIAL, we resolve to open a case with HP to resolve this problem, this case still open and we're waiting for the correct licenses.

As far i can tell ESXi licensing sucks.

Regards,

Goodspeed

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
ineonet
Contributor
Contributor

@Karunakar

I didn't remove my usb key.

for the creation of the vmware-root folder, how can I proceed ?

0 Kudos
ineonet
Contributor
Contributor

I have just installed ESX 3i on a physical drive and I get a new error message :

Network copy failed for file. C:\program files\Vmware\Infrastructure\Virtualcenter server\upgrade\vpx-upgrade-eesx-1-linux-119598

I found some post about this error code and it seems to appear when VC run in a VM but in my system, VC is running on a physical server...

0 Kudos
Karunakar
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

follow the below steps to login to esxi

on console of ESXi, press "Alt+F1" >> Then type " unsupported " and press enter (you can not see the unsupported word when typed), this will start the session in techsupport mode.

Give the password and enter the machine.

Go to /tmp, and check if a folder named "vmware-root" is available, if not, then create the folder, its an empty folder.

Then try to connect the machine to VC.

If the above does not work, try to follow the below steps.

- > Copy the vpx-upgrade-esx-7 or 6****** from the upgrade folder in the VC folder to /tmp on the ESX server

- > run the command " sh vpx-upgrade-esx-7 or 6****** "

(By default the script is located in C:\program files\vmware\vmware virtualcenter\upgrade )

Then restart hostd process as "/etc/init.d/hostd restart"

And then after the hostd process start, wait for one minute, and try to add the machine to vc.

This should work.

Let me know if any issues.

-Karunakar

0 Kudos
ineonet
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks for your help Smiley Happy

I create vmware-root folder but it does not work anymore.

There is a lot of vpx-upgrade-esx-* files ? How can I know which is the good one ?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Have you set the licensing on the ESXi host to point to your VC license server?

0 Kudos
ineonet
Contributor
Contributor

After lots of hours, it works !

With your help and informations taked on other site, here is my way to run ESXi in VC :

In the console of ESXi : open /etc/inetd.conf and remove # from SSH section. reboot (init 6)

So I can connect on my ESXi server with WinSCP for example and transfered vpx-upgrade-eesx-1****** onto /tmp folder

Run sh vpx-upgrade-eesx-1********

restart hostd process : /etc/init.d/hostd restart

And after this, I can add ESXi in VC !

Many thanks to Karunakar !

0 Kudos
Myshtigo
Contributor
Contributor

I've been trying to add esxi 3.5 update 2 host to my VC 2.5 with no luck...

I'm concerned that using SSH to the ESXi host in not supported so there must be another way to get this to work.

Anyone else no of the 'right' or 'different' way to do this?

0 Kudos
wksantiago
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem:

When I try to connect on my ESXi server with WinSCP and transfered vpx-upgrade-eesx-1****** onto /tmp folder WinSCP tells me it failed.

scp: /tmp/vpx-upgrade-eesx-1-linux-119598: No space left on device

How could I be running out of space if:

~ # df -h

Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on

unknown 183.9M 121.0M 62.9M 66% /

unknown 148.5G 51.5G 97.0G 35% /vmfs/volumes/49ac98d5-8ce6b557-477f-0030485b44d6

unknown 539.8M 176.9M 362.9M 33% /vmfs/volumes/3abb47ef-875ea67c-c948-7bf6ff8d3c38

unknown 47.8M 1.0k 47.8M 0% /vmfs/volumes/a71dd971-aa3bc9b5-3af6-6469bfda89fc

unknown 47.8M 36.6M 11.2M 77% /vmfs/volumes/9c310675-ae8437b5-6b40-933c6e82f2d2

unknown 4.0G 1.0G 3.0G 25% /vmfs/volumes/49ac98c9-17a1423d-9027-0030485b44d6

~ #

??

Thanks,

0 Kudos
wksantiago
Contributor
Contributor

OK I was able to copy it to the vmfs directory:

/vmfs # ls

devices vpx-upgrade-eesx-1-linux-119598

volumes vpx-upgrade-eesx-1-linux-119598.sig

/vmfs # sh vpx-upgrade-eesx-1-linux-119598

/vmfs # ls

devices vpx-upgrade-eesx-1-linux-119598.sig

volumes vpx-upgrade-installer

/vmfs #

/vmfs # /etc/init.d/hostd restart

watchdog-hostd: Terminating watchdog with PID 40931

/vmfs # 54892 Begin 'hostd ++min=0,swap,group=hostd -a /etc/vmware/hostd/config.xml', min-uptime = 60, max-quick-failures = 5, max-total-failures = 1000000

/vmfs #

Yes this worked i was able to add the ESXi in the VC

So it does not matter where you place the file, it does not have to be in the /tmp directory.

Thanks Samir,

0 Kudos