VMware Cloud Community
Stefano_Giulian
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HA moved a VM on the wrong ESX

We have 3 ESX 3.5.0 (no update) in cluster with VC 2.5.

All ESX share all the networks, but the esx3, which does not have one network called Internet.

Same days ago esx2 crashed and HA moved all VMs on other hosts, but a VM needing the network Internet has been moved just to esx3! I needed to manually vmotion that machine to esx1. Why HA selected esx3 without noticing it has not Internet network? vmotion correctly does not enable me to move that machine to esx3!

Is this a bug? May be it is just corrected on U1 or U2, I do not know.

There is a way to configure HA to do not use esx3 for VMs needing internet network?

Thank you,

bye

Stefano

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheButcher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Stefano,

HA is not the same as vMotion, so it's possible that vMotion gives a warning and HA does not.

When you make a HA cluster it's important that all hosts are exactly the same because HA can use the 2 other hosts in case of emergency.

There is no way to configure HA to do not use esx3 for VMs needing internet network because HA expect that all hosts are the same. You can set at Virtual Macine Options only that some virtual machines don't use HA. When you use HA together with DRS there is a possibility to separate or keep virtual machines together.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TheButcher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Stefano,

HA is not the same as vMotion, so it's possible that vMotion gives a warning and HA does not.

When you make a HA cluster it's important that all hosts are exactly the same because HA can use the 2 other hosts in case of emergency.

There is no way to configure HA to do not use esx3 for VMs needing internet network because HA expect that all hosts are the same. You can set at Virtual Macine Options only that some virtual machines don't use HA. When you use HA together with DRS there is a possibility to separate or keep virtual machines together.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I do not believe HA checks for things like that - it assumes all Hosts in the cluster are configured identically - The VM should have thrown an error when if tries to start a host that does not have the approriately named VM Port groups it is connected to and should not have started

If you find this or any other answer helpful please consider awarding points by marking the answer helpful or correct

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos