10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2009 11:08 AM by TechChief

vmware server 2.0 - remote usb error

dralexpe Lurker

I upgraded vmware server from 1.0.7 to 2.0 and I have problems with the usb devices.

I am running Centos 5.2 x86_64 as host and I have a Windows XP Pro virtual machine as guest, which was created in vmware server 1.0.4. The upgrade went fine so far, but I am not able to access the usb devices in the guest except if I am logged in as root in the host.

Here is my /etc/fstab:

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1

LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2

devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0

tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0

proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0

sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

/dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto    rw,exec,noauto,user,sync, 0 0

usbfs                   /proc/bus/usb           usbfs                       0  0

none                   /proc/bus/usb             usbfs   devgid=500,devmode=664      0    0

I have added the last two lines but even with them the error is still there: "remote usb device error: remote device disconnected: an error occured while sending data".

I have installed VMware Tools but I have not upgraded the hardware from 4 to 7 because I am still testing and I want to be able to rollback.  I don't think I'm getting the error because of not upgrading, because I can connect as root.

Of course I can launch the browser as root and run vmware, but if there is another solution I would prefer it.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: vmware server 2.0 - remote usb error
          cawli2 Lurker

I similarly upgraded from 1.0.7 to V2, also running CentOS, but 32-bit version 4, with a Win 2k guest OS.

My Win-mobile PDA (Dell X51v) would connect in its USB cradel to ActiveSync 4.5 just fine with 1.0.7.  I found forum suggestions to code as you have in the fstab, even chmod -R 777 /proc/bus/usb/* all to no avail.  I tried changing the USB device driver in Windows, but then it would state that a reboot was required, which then took me back to square one again.

I gave up with V2, and installed 1.0.8 which I am pleased to report works just fine with my Win-mobile PDA and ActiveSync.

Failing grade to VMWare for whatever they did to the USB interface.  I'll try again in 6 months ... maybe.

Good luck!

• 2. Re: vmware server 2.0 - remote usb error
            chrisat Lurker

Not entirely sure if my experience is relevant but I've just setup a CentOS 5.2 x86_64 box with the free VMware Server 2.0 hosting Windows Server 2003. Doing this over the weekend as part of a test to determine if we could use it for production purposes and ran into similar USB problems.

An USB storage device works fine on the CentOS host, but there was no option to connect/add it to the guest via the WebUI. Using the button in the console to add the USB device resulted in the same "remote USB error". There was a BSOD on my first attempt but that was because the USB storage was mounted on the host.

Searching around, I stumble on this thread as well as others. Putting together the suggestions, I found this works for me:

- close the browser/webUI

- ensure USB device is not in use by host

- start the browser with sudo

- now the WebUI has the USB button at the top of the VM taskbar.

Using this to add the USB storage devices works as expected.

Hope this will be helpful to you.

• 3. Re: vmware server 2.0 - remote usb error
              wila Guru
              Community WarriorsUser Moderators
              dralexpe wrote:

I have installed VMware Tools but I have not upgraded the hardware from 4 to 7 because I am still testing and I want to be able to rollback.  I don't think I'm getting the error because of not upgrading, because I can connect as root.

Actually I think it is at least part of the problem, just clone your VM and upgrade the clone to virtual Hardware version 7 if you want to be able to rollback at all times.

Alternatively you could use a snapshot, but the "copy your VM" method is more fail safe in my opinion as it doesn't touch your original VM.

If USB even works with version 4 hardware, then it will only be using USB 1.x and not be USB 2.x compatible.

--

Wil

Visit the new VMware developers wiki at http://www.vi-toolkit.com

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Desktop Products
              | Vimalin : Automated backups for VMware Fusion and VMware Workstation Professional
              | More info at https://www.vimalin.com
              | Twitter @wilva
              | VMware Wiki at http://www.vi-toolkit.com
              • 4. Re: vmware server 2.0 - remote usb error
                PaulGA Lurker

This works for me, quick and easy.

Though there has to be another way of getting USB devices to work inside Virtual Machines without running your browser as uid 0.

-Paul

• 5. Re: vmware server 2.0 - remote usb error
                  dralexpe Lurker

I cloned my VM and upgraded the clone to hardware version 7.  I am still not able to use the USB port in the guest except when I start the browser/WebUI as root in the host.

Thank you

• 6. Re: vmware server 2.0 - remote usb error
                    TechChief Novice

Here is how you fix the remote usb error

from Terminal so in Fedora Applications\System Tools\Terminal

SU

enter root password

1. chmod -R 777 /proc/bus/usb/*

Your USB will now work in VM Ware this should work for debian and RH

Now your new proble is that when you reboot linux forgets and locks down the usb again to fix this you want to modify the /etc/rc.local file its like the windows start up file do the following

1. vi /etc/rc.local

the file will open up type "i" to be able to insert

chmod 777 -R /proc.bus/usb/*

if you want to make  a note about what you did precede it wiht a # so i.e. 

1. This changes the USB so they will prsent in VMWARE or Virutal Box (not tested on vbox but should work) without errors

to save your changes type

:w

to close

:q!

reboot and it will work let me know if you have problems

• 7. Re: vmware server 2.0 - remote usb error
                      dralexpe Lurker

It didn't work.  After I chmod under root it still gave me the error when trying to launch the guest as non-admin user.

Thank you.

• 8. Re: vmware server 2.0 - remote usb error
                        rexxman Novice

This didn't work for me either, but I got things to work for me. Try my solution at:

http://communities.vmware.com//thread/188161?tstart=120

• 9. Re: vmware server 2.0 - remote usb error
                          bperlo Lurker

Hey I just wanted to say thank you this information helped me out greatly.

• 10. Re: vmware server 2.0 - remote usb error
                            TechChief Novice

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED

Caveats: NONE

UNCLASSIFIED

Glad I could help.

John Mosco

CW2, SC

HHC 56 BDE S6

Taji, Iraq

IA Manager CNDT