VMware Cloud Community
peterlyttle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Convert to Files

Hi, we currently have ESX3.5 hosts and VC 2.5. I want to convert a server that is on a remote site and import it into VC, however the problem is that this would be trying to transfer the files over a 2mbit connection. Is there a way I can convert the server to files and then burn them to dvd without importing into VC?

Thanks,

Peter

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, you can convert to a "Stand Alone Image" and then import the virtual machine into the ESX/VC environment afterward.

1. run converter to make it a stand alone image (i would probably suggest using the 2gb hard drive slices)

2. back it up to your transportation media

3. Copy the files to a local system when at the new destination (you may want to ensure the VM boots and was not corrupted along the way with vmware player)

4. Use converter again to import the vm from stand alone to ESX

EvilOne

1 - Check the documents

2 - Search the forums

3 - Post Question

And remember to award points to those who assist you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, you can convert to a "Stand Alone Image" and then import the virtual machine into the ESX/VC environment afterward.

1. run converter to make it a stand alone image (i would probably suggest using the 2gb hard drive slices)

2. back it up to your transportation media

3. Copy the files to a local system when at the new destination (you may want to ensure the VM boots and was not corrupted along the way with vmware player)

4. Use converter again to import the vm from stand alone to ESX

EvilOne

1 - Check the documents

2 - Search the forums

3 - Post Question

And remember to award points to those who assist you.

0 Kudos
peterlyttle
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ah, I thought Other Image was for something other than the Standalone that you said about.

Cheers.

0 Kudos