VMware Cloud Community
ptschneider
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to install ESXi on Gateway DX4200-UB001A

I get the "Unable to find a supported device to write the image to" message when trying to install to a Gateway DX4200-UB001A. Service tag 'aborted', bios rev 7B3P081G

Sux, as ESXi was the only reason I bought this doorstop.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Forums - I am sorry that happened but since ESX and ESXi botht install directly onto the hardware it is up to VMware to identify what hardware is suypported - check out for supported systems and motherboards - for NIcs and drive controllers check out

Also you might search the communities for whitebox solutions - these are unsupported but people have gotten ESXi to work -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
ptschneider
Contributor
Contributor

sorry man, but that's a pretty useless reply: (a) the RTFM answer has already been recorded about a million times, so you saying it again really added no value, and (b) those documents aren't intelligible in the first place. The purpose of a post mentioning a specific model is to solicit specific comments regarding experiences with that specific model.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Not necessaary - many people do come to this forum not understanding that ESX is not designed to run on every piece of hardware - so usually the first step is to point them to the HCL because that is where most people find supported systems that ESXi installs with out a problem - others decide to go outside the box and try to use whatever hardware they have available but usually run into problems -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

What model of controller does the system have - check it against the list here - http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3i/Hardware_support.php. On the site is also an article about installed ESXi to IDE drives if you want to go with that option.

0 Kudos
fusebox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Even I have the exact same configuration and got the same error which you posted.I havent yet checked the make and model of the onboard sata controller.Will do today.So did you have any luck yet,in getting this machine to run esxi?I am checking the links posted by others in this thread.

Naren

0 Kudos