VMware Communities
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

**Free** VMware Fusion 2.0 Upgrade Now Available!

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-6650

VMware Fusion 2, a free, downloadable upgrade for all VMware Fusion 1.x customers, adds over 100 new features and enhancements including:

• More Seamless with Unity 2.0: Application Sharing, Link Handling, Mirrored Folders, Driverless Printing, True Multiple Display Support, and Custom Keyboard Mapping

• Safer Windows on Mac experience with AutoProtect automated snapshots and a 12-month complimentary subscription to McAfee VirusScan Plus security software for Windows XP and Vista

• More Power with DirectX 9.0c with Shader Model 2 3D graphics, 1080p HD video playback, Multiple Snapshots, 4-way vSMP for Server OS guests, and Better Linux Support (Unity & Easy Install)

• More Mac-like, More Mac-friendly with all new Welcome Screen, Virtual Machine Library and Virtual Machine Settings, Cover Flow and Quick Look integration, and Apple Help

• Finally, Mac OS X Leopard Server is now supported in a virtual machine on Mac hardware

Check out the new resources page on the VMware Fusion portal for links to the release notes, video tutorials, and much more.

Again, VMware Fusion 2 is a free downloadable upgrade for all VMware Fusion 1.x users. Your existing VMware Fusion 1 serial number will work with VMware Fusion 2, and all you need to do to upgrade is download and install. Click here to download your free VMware Fusion 2 upgrade.

We put together a detailed document on how to upgrade your existing VMware Fusion 1.x virtual machines to take advantage of VMware Fusion 2 features including advanced 3D support. Please review the upgrading your VM document to get the most out of VMware Fusion 2 upgrade!

For more details, go to:

We hope you enjoy using VMware Fusion 2 as much as we enjoyed creating it for you!

Pat Lee

Group Manager, Consumer Products

VMware

0 Kudos
16 Replies
glenbust
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Pat, if you have more than 1 VM's do you need to upgrade each one individually or does 1 upgrade cover them all?

0 Kudos
Lowfish
Contributor
Contributor

I already have McAfee installed. How do prevent the installation wizard for McAfee Plus that comes with Fusion 2.0 to appear at every restart?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I already have McAfee installed. How do prevent the installation wizard for McAfee Plus that comes with Fusion 2.0 to appear at every restart?

Obviously you didn't read the Known Issues section of the Fusion 2.0 Release Notes!

• The McAfee anti-virus ISO remains mounted.
    If you start the installation of McAfee VirusScan Plus, the McAfee ISO remains mounted, which can lead to two problems.

• If you cancel the installation and later try to install the bundled anti-virus again, either by clicking Install when the anti-virus prompt appears, or by selecting Virtual Machine > Install McAfee VirusScan Plus,
      nothing will happen. These commands actually mount the ISO, but leave
      the launching of the anti-virus installer to the autorun. Because the
      ISO is already mounted, the autorun is not triggered. To work around
      this, eject the mounted anti-virus ISO image by selecting Virtual Machine > CD/DVD > Disconnect CD/DVD. Then select Virtual Machine > Install McAfee VirusScan Plus to start the McAfee VirusScan Plus installer again.

• Because the anti-virus ISO image is occupying the virtual CD/DVD
      drive, if you insert a CD/DVD on your Mac the CD/DVD will not be
      mounted in the virtual machine, even if you have set the CD/DVD drive
      to be attached to the virtual machine. To work around this, go to Virtual Machine > CD/DVD > Use Physical Drive to force mount the disc.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

if you have more than 1 VM's do you need to upgrade each one individually or does 1 upgrade cover them all?

After installing Fusion 2.0 you need to upgrade the Virtual Hardware and VMware Tools for each Fusion 1.x Virtual Machine that you want to be able to take full advantage of Fusion 2.0 features.

Have a look at: Updating an Older Virtual Machine to VMware Fusion 2

Also have a look at:

Known Issues section of the Fusion 2.0 Release Notes!

VMware Fusion Documentation

0 Kudos
Lowfish
Contributor
Contributor

Somehow this seems to fixed itself, subsequent restarts did not bring up the installer again.

0 Kudos
Pbryanw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Just wondering if I should uninstall my Fusion 2.0 RC1 beta then install the 2.0 final release, or can I just install over the top of RC1?

Thanks, Paul

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Just wondering if I should uninstall my Fusion 2.0 RC1 beta then install the 2.0 final release, or can I just install over the top of RC1?

You can Upgrade however FWIW I never use Upgrade when going from Beta's Versions to Release Versions. I always completely uninstall including a manual clean up of anything that was left by the uninstaller and then reboot my system and fresh install and reboot after before running and Virtual Machines. Not saying you have to do it that way, it's just how I do it.

0 Kudos
photosbydell
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I am going crazy!! Here is the situation. I have a Macbook Pro with an 160 HD. I have allotted 40 gb using VMware Fusion for Window XP on my MacBook Pro. I have recently attempted to install various software programs on the Mac hard drive (Adobe CS3, Final Cut Pro, Nikon Capture NX, etc.). I am unable to install Final Cut Pro (the program I need the most for video editing), because I do not have enough space of my Mac hard drive. I am short about 10 GB. I would like to reduce the Hard Drive size (currently 40 gb) on the Windows side to 28gb or 30 gb. Since I will not be using Windows side of my Mac often, nor will I have the need to load additional software/applications on the Mac side, I would like to allocate some of the Windows HD space to the Mac side. How on earth do I do this without having to reinstall VMware? I am currently using VMware Fusion 1.0. I have reviewed several instructions of this website and have been unable to successfully complete this task. Please assist me with this matter. I have an upcoming video editing deadline for one of my clients and I have not even begun because of this roadblock. Thanks!

0 Kudos
gbullman
Expert
Expert

It is not so much VMware Fusion that is taking up the space as it is the Virtual Machine that you are running with Fusion. The easiest solution is to copy the Virtual Machine to an external disk and just run it from there. Once you successfully copy the VM to another drive you can delete it from the internal drive of your MBP.

If moving to an external drive is not an option, you might consider compressing the VM when not in use, but this does mean it will take some extra time to uncompress each time you want to use it.

Fusion supports sparsely populated drives that only take up as much space on the Mac as they actually need in the guest. Sometimes you can reclaim space within these VMs by running defrag within the guest and then running the VMware Tools Shrink Disk. If those steps do not result in reclaimed disk space, and If you don't have access to an external drive, or don't want to pursue getting one, then you need to figure out what you want to delete.

In my opinion, it is worthwhile running all my virtual machines from an external disk. The amount of disk space available in a notebook is always going to be tight compared to a desktop, and it is easier to deal with the VMs when they are not on the boot disk.

0 Kudos
photosbydell
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much for your reply! You are GOLDEN!! Here is a silly question: How do you copy the virtual machine to an external hard drive? I have a 250 gb external hard drive that I keep with my laptop at all times. Also, when loaded on to my external hard drive how do I launch VM? Lastly, will I have to unistall/reinstall Windows XP on my external hard drive? If so, my concern is that in the past, when I registered a Windows Product, I was unable to register it for a second time. When attempting to do so I get an Microsoft Error message indicating that the software has already been registered and that additional licenses are available for purchase. For this reason, I am not in favor of unistalling and reinstalling my Windows XP from the Intel side of my Macbook. I hope I have not lost you with my reply. Please advise... Thanks, you have gained my respect!

Wendell

0 Kudos
gbullman
Expert
Expert

First you have to locate the Virtual Machine in Finder. With Fusion 2.0, you can do this using the Virtual Machine Library. With Fusion as the active application on your mac but the virtual machine not running (either suspended or shut down), in the Window menu select the Virtual Machine Library item. It may take some time for this window to refresh when it opens (can't do anything while the ball is spinning). Next Right click, if you have a multi-button mouse attached, or ctrl+click if you are using the trackpad or an Apple mouse then select the Show in Finder command. The icon that is highlighted in the newly opened finder window will be a vmware virtual machine package if you created the virtual machine with fusion, or it may be a file within a folder if you created it with a vmware converter. NOTE: From your posts so far I am assuming you have not used Apple's bootcamp to create your windows machine on your mac, that is a totally different discussion than this and don't try this on a bootcamp partition.

Assuming you have created this virtual machine with fusion, you simply drag the .vmwarevm package to a suitable location on your external drive (I would create a folder called VMs, or Virtual-Machines or something so you can exclude it from TM backups easily). Depending on the size of your VM this copy could take some time (I see about 1 Gig per minute copying disk to disk so set expectations accordingly). Once the copy is complete, double click on the icon that is now on the external drive. You will be prompted as to whether you copied the VM, or moved it. In your case you want to indicate that you have moved it. Once the VM is up and running, and you are satisfied that everything is OK with it then it is OK to delete the original VM from its' original location. In general I would come up with some backup plan for your VM. I shut mine down at least once a week and copy them to another drive for backup.

If you created your vm with a converter and when you did Show in finder it was highlighting a .vmx file with the same name as your VM, inside a folder with a similar name then you just want to copy that whole folder, and when testing the new copy you double click on the .vmx file. (This is probably not your situation, but trying to cover all bases).

In either case, once you have launched the newly copied VM the first time it will show up in the Virtual Machine Library, or in the Open Recent list of Fusion's File menu. Once you have deleted the old copy from your external drive that entry should become unavailable or go away.

This movement of the VM should not affect your licensing at all, but it is key that you respond that you have moved the VM when prompted by Fusion when first opening the copied VM. I have 2 VMs that I sometimes move between external drives and run them on a Windows host, and as long as I indicate that I have moved them (which is what I have done) Microsoft licensing does not come into the picture.

Message was edited by: gbullman

You probably also want to take a look at this document, it gives you a lot of good information about Virtual machines http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-1110

0 Kudos
photosbydell
Contributor
Contributor

Again, you have been quite helpful with this issue and I must admit that I am impressed with your detail and comprehensive reply. I have been out of the office all day today so I have not had an opportunity to implement your instructions. However, you indicate the following:

...once you have launched the newly copied VM the first time it will show up in the Virtual Machine Library, or in the Open Recent list of Fusion's File menu. Once you have deleted the old copy from your external drive that entry should become unavailable or go away.

Did you mean to delete the VM from my Internal Drive (Mac HD) or did you mean delete it from my External Hard Drive? Keep in mind that I am attempting to free up some memory on my Mac HD so that I can load Final Cut Pro. Please clarify. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

>> ...once you have launched the newly copied VM the first time it will show up in the Virtual Machine Library, or in the Open Recent list of Fusion's File menu. Once you have deleted the old copy from your external drive that entry should become unavailable or go away.

Did you mean to delete the VM from my Internal Drive (Mac HD) or did you mean delete it from my External Hard Drive? Keep in mind that I am attempting to free up some memory on my Mac HD so that I can load Final Cut Pro. Please clarify. Thanks again!

Does it really matter what he meant when you know it the one on the internal drive you need to delete since it's the internal drive that your trying to free up space on! Smiley Happy

Just shutdown the VM and close Fusion and then copy the Virtual Machine Package to the external drive. The double-click the Virtual Machine Package on the external drive and run it to make sure it okay and when prompted say you move it (do not say you copied it) and if all is okay then delete the Virtual Machine Package on the internal drive.

0 Kudos
gbullman
Expert
Expert

" Once you have deleted the old copy from your external drive that entry should become unavailable or go away."

I meant internal drive, that is where you're trying to free up space. Ultimately it would be nice to ensure that references within Fusion to the VM on the internal drive get cleaned up so you don't run into confusion later on. But, Fusion 2.0 prompts you to delete files also when deleting entries from the Virtual Machine Library, and I would hate to see you accidently delete your last copy. If you always start using the "moved" VM by double clicking on it on the external drive it doesn't matter what Fusion thinks with respect to the VMs that you have. All of this is just basic file manipulation activities, it is just that the files are rather large, and the pain from accidently deleting them probably more than for a typical word processing document.

Once you have copied the VM to the external drive & verified the copy had no problems because the machine starts and works as it did before then it is OK to delete the original VM on the internal drive. Just always make sure you know which copy you are dealing with when you take these actions.

0 Kudos
photosbydell
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again! You have been golden. I will give it a shot this evening. Take care!

0 Kudos
photosbydell
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your input. This forum has been quite helpful and generous. Take care! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos