VMware Cloud Community
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Email Alerts - anyone got it working?

I've been trying to get email alerts working...

Tried in the Beta/RC nothing doing, and now I'm have little success with the GA...

THe alarm does work. I've configured it send out a MS net send message - which does get sent & recieved with the event (VM added)... also email for general VC alerts work as well. Tested with a power on/off email alert on a virtual machine - I recieve the email.

I've edited the extension.xml file to make sure to match the email address I use to send out my alerts...

How does SRM send out emails - does it use the general settings from VC - or does it have its own unique settings?

I've got alarms working for scripts and SNMP - but I've never seen a smtp delivered message...

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
http://www.michellelaverick.com
0 Kudos
7 Replies
happyhammer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

ive setup this in its most basic format with the VC settings for email for the execution of a recovery plan and i got this

Target: Datacenters

Old Status: Gray

New Status: Gray

Current value:

alarm.com.vmware.vcDr.RecoveryPlanExecuteTestBegin - event.ExtendedEvent

Alarm: alarm.com.vmware.vcDr.RecoveryPlanExecuteTestBegin

Description:

Alarm Recovery Plan Execute Test Begin on Datacenters changed from Gray to Gray

0 Kudos
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Mmmm, I wonder what I'm doing wrong, if it works for VC alarms - but not SRM ones?

You know set an email during the install in SRM (held with the extensions.xml file) does that get used at all in the email process?

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
0 Kudos
happyhammer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

mike

all i did was configure in email relay in VC options, then under the SRM alarm, set to send email and then to the right of that put in the recipient address its to go to

when i start a test recovery i get the mail

0 Kudos
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

mike

all i did was configure in email relay in VC options, then under the SRM alarm, set to send email and then to the right of that put in the recipient address its to go to

We have the same configuration. I will just try a different alarm... I wonder what this email entries are for in the installer...???

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
0 Kudos
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

mike

We have the same configuration. I will just try a different alarm... I wonder what this email entries are for in the installer...???

Regards

Mike

Yeah!

Created an alarm on the recovery plan execute and got my first email!

Not sure why this worked on this alarm and not the other - because the other executed my script properly... Must be that condition wasn't been met because the configuration is the same...

Perhaps my protected sites VC email setup is different from the Recovery Sites VC...?

Regards

Mike

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
0 Kudos
Michelle_Laveri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

At last!

I've got emails from both Protected Site VC and Recovery Site VC. I did this by enabling email alarms on all the protected site alarms, and then destroying and creating a new VM, and protecting

I think I must have misunderstood the different alarms, and been triggering the wrong event.

To be honest I find the alarm definitions a little bit cyptic (especially the information in the email) - and trying to map the alarm name to resulting email is 100% clear.

I wanted to configure an email to be sent when ever a new VM is created - and is waiting for the SRM administrator to change it from "Not Configured" to configured by clicking the "Configure Protection" button...

I assumed that would be "VM Added" as it covers the situation where "VM is added to protection group and is ready to be configured for protection".

All I've seen so far is

Subject: Alarm - alarm.com.vmware.vcDr.ProtectedVmCreatedEvent

Current value:

alarm.com.vmware.vcDr.ProtectedVmCreatedEvent - event.ExtendedEvent

Alarm: alarm.com.vmware.vcDr.ProtectedVmCreatedEvent

and

Alarm - alarm.com.vmware.vcDr.ProtectedVmRemovedEvent

Current value:

alarm.com.vmware.vcDr.ProtectedVmRemovedEvent - event.ExtendedEvent

Alarm: alarm.com.vmware.vcDr.ProtectedVmRemovedEvent

Regards
Michelle Laverick
@m_laverick
0 Kudos
lionelf67
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem. I cannot get the "VM Added" alarm working. And then, it's not possible to let me know when a new Virtual Machine should be configured for protection... Smiley Sad

0 Kudos