1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2008 3:12 PM by JDLangdon

Authors With Books

JDLangdon Master

Are any of our community authors bring books to sell at VMworld?  Is there a book signing session?

Jason

• 1. Re: Authors With Books
          JDLangdon Master

Here is a list of the "community" books that I am aware of.

VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center by Stephen S. Beaver and Jason McCarty.

VMware Infrastructure 3: Advanced Technical Design Guide and Advanced Operations Guide by Scott Herold, Ron Oglesby, and Mike Laverick

VMware ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers by Edward L. Haletky

Will any of these be available at VMworld? 

Jason

• 2. Re: Authors With Books
            TomHowarth Guru
            vExpertUser Moderators

I believe that Ed will be planning on being on the Prentice Hall stand,

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Authors With Books
              esiebert7625 Guru
              vExpert

I thought Steve had mentioned that they would have books also. Below is another. My book is due out in April and should be available in Rough Cuts form in a few weeks.

http://tarrysingh.blogspot.com/2008/08/inx-to-showcase-virtualization-book-at.html

Eric Siebert

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Check out my website: VMware-land

Read my virtualization blog: SSV Blog

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Authors With Books
                citrix_guy Expert

Scott, Mike and I will be in the book store on Wednesday I believe, 1:30 pm ish?? signing books and just generally hanging out.

• 5. Re: Authors With Books
                  JDLangdon Master

Where is the book store?

• 6. Re: Authors With Books
                    Virtuoso

It's typically somewhere pretty visible in the main lobby or in the solutions exchange.  In past years, they've sold books by the community authors, and they're quite popular, so buy early.    - Robert

Robert Dell'Immagine, Director of VMware Communities

• 7. Re: Authors With Books
                      JDLangdon Master
                      RDellimmagine wrote:

It's typically somewhere pretty visible in the main lobby or in the solutions exchange.  In past years, they've sold books by the community authors, and they're quite popular, so buy early.

I know where my first stop will be.  Being Canadian, I'll save a $20-$40 per book by getting them at VMworld.

• 8. Re: Authors With Books
                        Dave.Mishchenko Guru

Hello from the other coast   - I know what you mean about book prices. Fortunately I'm close enough to the border to have a US mail drop.

• 9. Re: Authors With Books
                          Virtuoso

Well, I did not know US books were so expensive in Canada.  Back when the US dollar was worth more than the Canadian dollar, you could get CA$5 worth of goods for US$4.50.  I bought my last set of skis at Whistler on the Canadian discount.  Since exchange rates have changed, I thought that meant Canadians now have all sorts of cheap imports from the US.

• 10. Re: Authors With Books
                            Dave.Mishchenko Guru

As our dollar has come up in value,  the pricing on some things has gotten better.  There was a big stink last fall when the dollar hit parity and book prices weren't reflecting that.  But as an example,  I got a book for $20 that would have been $24 at a local store and when I pick it up  in the US I'll fill up the gas tank ($0.20 / litre cheaper) and get some cheese.   Then I'll have to hit the border and explain that I was visiting to US for 20 minutes to get gas, cheese, some books and the usual Lego .

• 11. Re: Authors With Books
                              esiebert7625 Guru
                              vExpert

Is there no cheese in Canada ?:|

Eric Siebert

Check out my website: VMware-land

Read my virtualization blog: SSV Blog

• 12. Re: Authors With Books
                                Dave.Mishchenko Guru

The milk freezes up here before it hits the bucket :).  Cheese and some other dairy is 40 % less (dairy regulations / different grass / etc).

• 13. Re: Authors With Books
                                  JDLangdon Master
                                  Dave.Mishchenko wrote:

The milk freezes up here before it hits the bucket :).  Cheese and some other dairy is 40 % less (dairy regulations / different grass / etc).

You haven't had milk until you've had Newfoundland milk.   So rich, creamy, and full of flavour you can still taste after it's gone.

• 14. Re: Authors With Books
                                    JDLangdon Master
                                    RDellimmagine wrote:

Since exchange rates have changed, I thought that meant Canadians now have all sorts of cheap imports from the US.

The only thing I noticed to be cheaper with the exchange rates was when I purchased American money.  Other then that, the cost of most imports either stayed the same.  One thing that didn't change was the cost of vehicles.  Some vehicles still cost $5000 - $10,000 more in Canada.

The price of some books in Canada should be considered illegal.  Ed's book at Chapters.ca is priced at $54.99 while Amazon.Com has it priced at $41.00.  Scott's book on the other hand is listed at Chapters.ca for $65.95 while Amazon.com has it on sale for $37.77.

Don't get me started on the cost of alcohol.

Jas

1 2 Previous Next