5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2008 8:28 AM by johnhc

MSI Installer Product logged error code 1625 during installation attempt.

AKBinATL Novice

Installation Failure!

Pop up box msg reads:

The system administrator has settings in place to prevent this installation.

I had Beta 2 installed.  Install for Candidate 2 uninstalled Beta 2 successfully, but died at the very beginning of the installation of Candidate 2 with the message above.  The vminst.log file had the text I put in the subject line.

This is a Windows 2003 R2 x64 box.  I had installed Beta 2 and went out in search of some Linux images.  After several days of downloading, I ran the Beta 2 app and it said it had "expired".  That's when I returned to VMware to download Candidate 2.

I have to find a solution soon, even if that means installing 1.0.6. 

Please help me.

• 1. Re: MSI Installer Product logged error code 1625 during installation attempt.
          guyrleech Virtuoso

I can see from the MSI log file that your installation source is local but are you trying the installation from the physical console rather than an RDP session to it? Not sure if you have to but I have seen installs fail when attempted over remote sessions. I am assuming that you are attempting this with an account that has at least local administrative rights.

Also, try deleting (or renaming so you can revert back) the registry key's HKLM\Software\Policies and HKCU\Software\Policies. This will (temporarily) disable any group policy that is getting in the way. If the Windows Installer service is running, restart it after making these registry modifications. If you delete these keys then a reboot should reapply the latest GPOs anyway. If you can't delete these keys then that points to you not having sufficient rights to perform the installation.

• 2. Re: MSI Installer Product logged error code 1625 during installation attempt.
            AKBinATL Novice

Remote desktop wasn't the issue...I had that configured to support full admin rights and I had tested on the box directly with the same results.  But your hint about the policies paid off.  There must have been something in place blocking the installation.  Thank you!  I guess the question now is, do I put the original policies back in place or just run with the newly created set.

• 3. Re: MSI Installer Product logged error code 1625 during installation attempt.
              guyrleech Virtuoso

Depends a little on who uses the box since by deleting the keys you have removed all GPO settings not just for your administrator, who we have proved can circumvent them anyway, but also system wide GPOs that effect other users and the machine itself. If it was my box, I'd reboot to reapply GPOs and then try to find this setting in the registry and then cross reference it to the corresponding .adm file and then use GPMC to find the policy setting and review it. Or if you do not install new software often then leave it the way it is and (try to) remember to whack GPOs before installing. Apologies to all Microsoft security "experts" for this sledgehammer approach ....

• 4. Re: MSI Installer Product logged error code 1625 during installation attempt.
                AKBinATL Novice

Well, if they made the settings truly easy to configure and maintain, we wouldn't be having this conversation at 4am (my time)...it's not like I haven't been looking and trying to find the magic setting.  They (MS) provide next to nothing in the way identifying the blocking policy and the generic style messages give little to go on, as well.  It's been a very frustrating day or two for me...apologies were the last thing on my mind.

I did reload and reboot, so the world is back in order.  I appreciate the other info, but I don't think I have the skills to isolate the setting and correct it, so I'd guess I better remember this little trick...in case of emergency. 

Thanks again.

• 5. Re: MSI Installer Product logged error code 1625 during installation attempt.
                  johnhc Hot Shot

AKBinATL,

I think yours is an error caused by the large size of the RC MSI. This is a KB that describes the fix.

EDIT: BTW this problem has been discussed a number of times in these forums, including error 1625.

Hope this helps, John.

Host and Guest Systems:

Windows XP Pro x64 Edition;

VMware Server 2.0.0RC1, Build 101586