VMware Cloud Community
robertortel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

ESXi on Dell Precision 390: vmnic0 is disconnected

Hello,

just installed my new ESXi and imported an old VM from VMWare Server. Now I see, that this VM cannot access the network here, even if the ESXi Server can (the network test went fine after installation). I see that the vmnic0 is DISCONNECTED in the VI Client and and even in the basic setup running on the physical host. But anyways, the network test works so the cable is plugged in right.

I even can ping my ESXi host from my office pc.

Another thing that hurts me (and might be the same issue) is this:

1. esxcfg-nics -l

Name PCI Driver Link Speed Duplex MTU Description

vmnic0 05:05.00 3c90x Down 0Mbps Half 1500 3Com Corporation 3C905C-TX Fast Etherlink for PC Management NIC

1. esxcfg-nics -a vmnic0

Error: Cannot set options on unknown device

Aborted

He shows me vmnic0, but it is unknown when I am trying to apply some settings ...

What is wrong?

I only have one working network adapter (a 3COM 3C905C-TX adapter), the onboard nic is disabled in the bios.

Robert

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

If you search this forum and possibly the ESX 3.5 forum I think you'll find some other people who have had similar issues with the 3com network cards. Does the on-board one not work with ESXi? It should be either Broadcom or Intel-based, which I would think would be compatible with ESXi. Could be wrong about that. Your best bet is an add-in Intel-based card.

0 Kudos
robertortel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The onboard adapter is a broadcom 57xx one and this one works well now. We have some corporate network limitations for network adapters, but this one is OK here. But this I only found out on request so there is no need for the 3COM adapter any more.

Thank you.

Robert

0 Kudos
scottedstorn
Contributor
Contributor

I've got this 3com card too and install on a old intel motherboard just for testing and I see the card down but, I downloaded a virtual appliance (netop), I was surprised, the netop receive an IP from my DHCP and I can work on it.

Perhaps I don't understand, but can I work with this configuration for testing purpose ?

I'm newbie to virtualization technologies so if I forgot something prier to excuse me.

Thank you.

PS: sorry for my poor english I'm french... :smileysilly:

0 Kudos
rrod1
Contributor
Contributor

I, too, encountered the same problem with the 3com network card. After switching to the onboard NIC and enabling it, I was able to change the Network Adapter properties within the Virtual Switch Properties window. My original goal was to adjust the "Configured Speed, Duplex" setting. Thanks, couchman.

Running VMware ESXi Server v3.5 build 207095

0 Kudos