5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2008 5:25 PM by johnhc

Removing RC1 leaves a lot behind and causes RC2 install problems!

johnhc Hot Shot

I used Add/Remove to remove RC1 and there is a lot left behind. Yesterday I tried to install RC2 and had many problems. I believe that the remaining pieces of RC1 are at least part of the problems. I used System Restore to back out RC2 and today removed RC1 again via Add/Remove. In the task manager tomcat6.exe is running and I found the following:

1. VMware Server Web Access is set to Automatic in Services (tomcat6.exe)

2. VMware Virtual Infrastructure Web Access is set to Manual in Services (tomcat5.exe)

3. Both of the above are in msconfig/services

4. The VMware folder in Program Files (x86) has VMware Server and VIX(2) folders with many files/folders in both

5. Folder VMware appears in my Application Data folder (includes IE plugin)

6. IE plugin is in the IE Addons dialog

• Why are all these items left behind?

• Are they interfering with my attempt to install RC2?

• Is it OK to remove 1 and 2 from services?

• Is it OK delete the folders in 4 and 5?

• Is it OK to remove plugin, 6?

Thanks for any advice, John.

Host and Guest Systems:

Windows XP Pro x64 Edition;

VMware Server 2.0.0RC1, Build 101586

• 1. Re: Removing RC1 leaves a lot behind and causes RC2 install problems!
          johnhc Hot Shot

I have found, via another post in these forums, VMware article KB1308 which describes a procedure and offers a script to cleanup after a failed install.  It will cleanup VMware Server versions 1.0.x but does not list 2.0.  Hopefully there is a script for 2.0 RC1 - is there?

Thanks, John.

Host and Guest Systems:

• 2. Re: Removing RC1 leaves a lot behind and causes RC2 install problems!
            rhsoftware Hot Shot

I wonder that everything on windows seems to be so ******* and everybody is using it

Upgrade on rpm-based linux-os from 1.0.x to 2.0 Beta2, RC1 and RC2 without any troubles

On windows you need for every software you want to upgrade or remove a cleaner-tool

Why do you not use a linux-system as host and put your windows-crap in a vm?

• 3. Re: Removing RC1 leaves a lot behind and causes RC2 install problems!
              melgish Novice

rhsoftware:

Your post is not very helpful. As the original poster pointed out, it's VMWare's uninstall routines leaving stuff behind.  Microsoft people didn't write that.  VMWare people did.

johnc:

I'm not sure how vmware infastructure got into the mix, but the web access service is easy enough to remove using the SC command  (SC /? for guidance)  I'd recommend removing the plug-in for IE as well since that might otherwise prevent a file from being updated.

Can you be more speicfic about the problems you are having?   

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Removing RC1 leaves a lot behind and causes RC2 install problems!
                johnhc Hot Shot

melgish,

Thanks much for your reply. I have a separate post on the install problems. I would really appreciate if you will take a look.

My plan, barring any revelations here, is to remove both services, the plugin and all files I can find and then try to install RC2 again. That failing, I will open a Service Request (SR), and go back to RC1 until I have something new to try. I opened an SR on RC1 problems and still don't have a response.

Thanks Again, John.

Host and Guest Systems:

• 5. Re: Removing RC1 leaves a lot behind and causes RC2 install problems!
                  johnhc Hot Shot

I have successfully installed RC2.  Before I started, I deleted the files and services mentioned in the first post.  I also deleted the IE plugin, the VMware folder in the All User and the All User\Applications directories.  The policy change spelled out in MS KB925336 was implemented.   The install still hung at installing Apache Tomcat Server for 15 to 20 minutes then finished normally.  I brought up an old RC1 VM and it seems to run OK.

Enjoy, John.

Host and Guest Systems: