3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2008 5:12 PM by johnhc

Problems installing RC2, including altered host OS.

johnhc Hot Shot

Today I removed RC1 (via Add/Remove) and tried to install RC2. The install hung shortly after asking me to verify the MD5. CPU and disk activity went to zero. After several minutes I rebooted and tried again with the same results after waiting longer. I then noticed via the Task Manager that tomcat6 was running. I killed it (had to use Process Explorer since Task Manager said access denied) and was able to complete the install. When it got to installing tomcat, it hung as it did on RC1 (CPU and disk activity zero), but I let it sit 15 minutes or so and it completed. I was unable to open the Web UI and have joined a discussion in Web UI sub-forum. I tried restarting my host and it did not look correct at the welcome screen and the desktop. When I click Start and Turn off Computer, the dialog that opens is not the one I am used to seeing. I attach a screen short (image insertion does not seem to work, just one more problem).

I have since performed a System Restore to get my host back and it seems to be OK but RC1 now does not work. In the VMware folder I see VMware VIX and VMware VIX(2). The second is new and I suspect between the remove of RC1, install of RC2 and System Restore that RC1 got damaged.

Hope someone can have a helpful comment. Thanks, John

Host and Guest Systems:

Windows XP Pro x64 Edition;

VMware Server 2.0.0RC1, Build 101586

• 1. Re: Problems installing RC2, including altered host OS.
          Paul Thomas Master

Hi,

I think the shutdown dialogue you are getting is the one you get when fast user switching is switched off.  Check in control pannel, perhaps the install turned this off.

System restore only looks after MS files, so you will need to reinstall RC1 again to replace any VMwate files deleted or change dby the install of RC2.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Problems installing RC2, including altered host OS.
            johnhc Hot Shot

Paul Thomas,

Thanks for your reply. Since I have performed a System Restore, I cannot determine if Fast User Switching is disabled (it is enabled now). I will look at that if this happens again. This raises the question, "Why is VMware Server turning off Fast User Switching?" I looked at the VMware Server folder and found several references to RC1 and Build 101586 (also RC1). I do believe that System Restore does more than just MS files. I have used it in the past to recover from bad FW updates and bad driver installs.

Do you have any comments on why tomcat6 was still running and why there is a 15 minute delay installing Betas?

Thanks, John.

Edit: I just turned off Fast User Switching and it only changed the Log Off dialog and not the Shutdown dialog or the welcome and desktop screens, so that was not what happened.  John.

Host and Guest Systems:

• 3. Re: Problems installing RC2, including altered host OS.
              johnhc Hot Shot

Paul Thomas,

You are correct!

I cleaned up and reinstalled RC2 and both Fast User Switching and Use the Welcome Screen are off and I have the funny dialog back. Looking at the user accounts yields a message about this, including that the module VMGINA.DLL is responsible. This DLL is in the RC2 VMware Server folder. There are a number of post about this DLL being missing in earlier 2.0 Beta (causing BSODs). In fact it apparently was in the Release Notes (have not found the old Release Notes). MS KB302346 describes how to correct this "problem". It looks like now VMware has inserted their own DLL (replacing MSGINA.DLL). I must now determine if I can apply the KB and get my old dialogs back or if RC2 needs this DLL to operate. I was able to bring up my old RC1 VM under RC2 and it seems to run OK. The real secret to the install was deleting the VMware services, folders and IE plugin (left over from RC1) before installing RC2.

Thanks much for your help.

Enjoy, John.

Host and Guest Systems: