5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2008 5:52 PM by JDLangdon

Tips for New Attendees?

JDLangdon Master

I've heard several "horor stories" from people who have attended VMworld nad in most cases it's because the attendee wasn't prepared for what was instore.  Do of you "VMworld Veterens" have any tips and advice for to help new attendees get the most out of VMworld?

Jason

• 1. Re: Tips for New Attendees?
          wpatton Expert

Could you be less vague?

What does this mean?  "because the attendee wasn't prepared for what was instore"  Prepared for what exactly?

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

• 2. Re: Tips for New Attendees?
            Kirk S Enthusiast

Tips... hrm.  Wear comfortable shoes.  Try to figure out what you're interested in, and plan your schedule accordingly. 

I think we could better answer your question if we knew what you wanted to get out of VMWorld.

• 3. Re: Tips for New Attendees?
              buckethead Hot Shot

I would say have a good idea first of what you want out of it.  First sign up for two labs and save your schedule.  That is key as there are only so many labs and they go super fast (Monday is 100% full from what I understand).  Go through the catalog, determine the sessions that you want the most and sign up for them.  If you do not sign up for the sessions now you will have to stand in line the day of the session to get in.  So please sign up for your sessions now.  That was one of the biggest complaints last year that I heard from the 'newbies'.  Also, not all Advanced topics will be Advanced to you.  Choose wisely.  

If you have downtime try out the Self Paced Labs.  In fact if you are in town and Monday and didn't get into the labs take those so you don't waste time.  There is a lot going on in the vendor area.  I avoided it last year and had a great time.  I had a good idea of what vendors I wanted to talk with and only stopped by their booths.

Sleep.  VMWorld is very exhausting there is a ton to see and learn.  That is going to be impossible to do this year being that it is in Vegas.

If you can take advantage of the BOF (Birds of a Feather) sessions.  I haven't done that in past years, but planning to do that this year.

The conference actually starts on Tuesday, so use Monday to register early, take labs (even the self-paced), walk around and get familiar with your environment.

At the conference pack lightly and wear comfortable shoes.  You will be walking a lot.  The crowds are crazy, but most people are cool and don't get too p***** off.

Just have fun.  When things are going wrong just remember you are in Vegas. 

I am sure I missed something but those are the thoughts on top of my head.

Please note that the use of profanity is expressly forbidden,

Message was edited by: Tom Howarth, VMware Community User Moderator

• 4. Re: Tips for New Attendees?
                JDLangdon Master
                buckethead wrote:

If you do not sign up for the sessions now you will have to stand in line the day of the session to get in. So please sign up for your sessions now.

The conference actually starts on Tuesday, so use Monday to register early, take labs (even the self-paced), walk around and get familiar with your environment

My schedule is pretty much the way I want it witout any waiting list.  Does that mean I'm registered for the sessions I want to attend or is there another step involved?

• 5. Re: Tips for New Attendees?
                  buckethead Hot Shot

If you are registered for the sessions you are all set.  I would still recommend checking every so often to make sure nothing changes.