6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2008 1:30 PM by azmir

RC1 time bomb?

Al.Smith Novice

Does RC1 have time bomb code similar to what ESXi had?  What is the projected date for Server 2 full release?

(I am new to this community; I apologize if this has already been asked.)

• 1. Re: RC1 time bomb?
          johnhc Hot Shot

Al.Smith,

I was hoping that a VMware person would answer your question.  I saw a post when RC1 first came out that said it would expire in October and I also remember seeing a post about trying to release 2.0 this year.  I just noticed that RC1 Release Notes have been replaced by RC2 Notes.  The Build is shown as xxxxx with a release date of 18 August and the DL page still has RC1.

I hope someone with real knowledge will respond.

Enjoy, John.

Host and Guest Systems:

Windows XP Pro x64 Edition;

VMware Server 2.0.0RC1, Build 101586

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: RC1 time bomb?
            Expert

I hope someone with real knowledge will respond.

Ok, here we go.

All non-GA VMware hypervisor products, that is to say, all tech previews, betas and release candidates of products that can actually run virtual machines, have a built-in expiry date. This is mainly because the beta and RC products are not supported and we stop e.g. reviewing them for security flaws or other issues, and also to reduce our support volume by making sure that folks who contact support are running a supported product. I think there are other reasons too though those are the ones that I know of... It's not to protect licensing revenue or anything like that (which should hopefully be more apparent now that we're basically giving away everything but Fusion for free).

So yes, Server 2.0 RC1 has an expiration date, and yeah I think it is in September though I'd have to go look at the code to be sure. Server 2.0 RTM/GA will not have an expiration date.

• 3. Re: RC1 time bomb?
              Expert

Also, we don't ever announce official release dates for products in advance. As far as I am aware, we do intend to ship the Server 2.0 GA this year, but that's always subject to change.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: RC1 time bomb?
                johnhc Hot Shot

rrdharan,

Thanks much for your response.  It is good to have an accurate picture of how this process works.  I noticed you did not comment on the RC2 Release Notes - any?

Enjoy, John.

Host and Guest Systems:

Windows XP Pro x64 Edition;

VMware Server 2.0.0RC1, Build 101586

• 5. Re: RC1 time bomb?
                  NoucMum Novice

"So yes, Server 2.0 RC1 has an expiration date, and yeah I think it is

in September though I'd have to go look at the code to be sure. Server

2.0 RTM/GA will not have an expiration date"

We will have a new release of some sorts to upgrade to before this goes off right?

multiple linux 64 hosts running vmware server RC1

• 6. Re: RC1 time bomb?
                    Expert

RC1 expiration is Oct 31.  We plan on releasing RC2 in the next few days, which will have an expiration of Nov 30.