3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2008 11:14 AM by Paul Thomas

Swapping VM's back from Linux to Win2003 Host

mctz Novice

I have successfully got a dual boot setup going on my server to compare the behavior and performance of Windows 2003 and SuSE Linux as the host operating system under VMWare Server 2.0 rc1.

I have the VM's on an NTFS partition that both host O/S's can mount.

So far I successfully switched from Windows to Linux, although I still had to tell VMware that I had "moved" the VM's.

On switching back to Windows again, I struck a small problem, as the Linux version had inserted the following line at the top of the VM config files:

#!/usr/bin/vmware

The Windows version of VMWare doesn't like this, and you can't do anything with the VM including starting or configuring it, until this line is removed.

• 1. Re: Swapping VM's back from Linux to Win2003 Host
          Paul Thomas Master

I tried this with a dual boot windows 2003 and ubuntu 7 host, both running vmware server 2 beta 1.  I didn't have the problem you have, but did have to set a memory setting parameter in th econfig file as the nfts-3g driver on ubuntu could not support a particular transfer mode used by vmware with the default parameters set.  The only other issue, was having to remove and add the cd drive if i wanted to use it when the guest was running on a different host.

My performance test figures I obtained were inconclusive, as they lacked any consistency.  Ubuntu did appear faster on th e memory, while windows was better on the network access.  I was using sisoft sandra to obtain some figures.  I was using a vista ultimate guest, I also had the host booting into vista (as a third boot option) to compare the performance of the native vm against a vm.  I'd be interested if you get any useful benchmark figures.

• 2. Re: Swapping VM's back from Linux to Win2003 Host
            mctz Novice

What was was the ntfs-3g setting you had to change may I ask?  And what behavior manifested before you made that change?  (Also what scsci virtual driver were you using in the guest o/s?)

• 3. Re: Swapping VM's back from Linux to Win2003 Host
              Paul Thomas Master

Hi,

It wasn't a ntfs-3g setting, it was in the vmware configuration. I don't remember the setting, but it had something to do with how VM memory operated.  Without the setting the vm would not even start, I think there was an unable to allocate memory error in the log.  I'm afraid I don't remember which scsi driver I used, I would have just accepted the defaults when I created the VM.