12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2008 1:33 PM by rhsoftware

Is there a way to reduce the size of vmware-server-2rc1 install?

devsk Enthusiast

At 650MB (installed in a chroot jail), its little too big (bigger than the biggest package that I have: OO at 300MB). Is there a way to reduce the size of this thing? Why is it so big now (compared to about 150MB for 1.0.6)?

Also, is there a migration guide for migrating from 1.0.6 to 2.0? How do I access my VMs?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Is there a way to reduce the size of vmware-server-2rc1 install?
          johnhc Hot Shot

devsk,

I have meant to try the 'custom install' option, but keep forgetting.  I assume you will be able to install components for the OSs being used in your guests.  If you have a limited set, you may be able to save quite a bit of space.  There was one post from a developer (I think in the Beta forum), that talked about the size and he mentioned the ISOs necessary for so many guests.  You might try to find that thread and see what you can learn.  I have found no migration guide but be sure to DL the manual.  My one VM from 1.0.x was in my inventory when RC1 was installed.  Perhaps it needs to be in the 'standard' location.

Good luck, John.

Host and Guest Systems:

Windows XP Pro x64 Edition;

VMware Server 2.0.0RC1, Build 101586

• 2. Re: Is there a way to reduce the size of vmware-server-2rc1 install?
            devsk Enthusiast

Is browser the only interface to access the VMs in 2.0?

• 3. Re: Is there a way to reduce the size of vmware-server-2rc1 install?
              johnhc Hot Shot

devsk,

devsk wrote:

Is browser the only interface to access the VMs in 2.0?

As far as I am aware, yes.  Enjoy, John

Host and Guest Systems:

Windows XP Pro x64 Edition;

VMware Server 2.0.0RC1, Build 101586

• 4. Re: Is there a way to reduce the size of vmware-server-2rc1 install?
                devsk Enthusiast

Ohh! Crap! No wonder its so big. It must have a full webserver in there, then?

I think I will just delete the chroot jail then. I am not going to be running firefox and plugins for this thing. I wonder why they did that? What was wrong with the 1.0 console?

• 5. Re: Is there a way to reduce the size of vmware-server-2rc1 install?
                  RDPetruska Guru
                  User ModeratorsvExpert

Thread moved to the VMware Server 2 beta:Installation/Upgrade forum.

• 6. Re: Is there a way to reduce the size of vmware-server-2rc1 install?
                    Expert

The increase in size is not primarily due to the web server.

The biggest contributor to the size is the explosion in Linux kernels that we support, and kernel modules that we ship (due to new functionality like VMCI and VSockets). Another contributor is that we forked off and froze the Windows Tools for older Windows guests (Windows 2000, NT4 and WinME/9x) since we're no longer adding new Tools features for those older OSes.

Finally, the VI Client and web plugins are all in the Server package, i.e.:

- 32-bit Linux Firefox plug-in

- 64-bit Linux Firefox plug-in

- 32-bit Windows IE plug-in

- 32-bit Windows Firefox plug-in

- Windows VI Client

I realize that the increase in size is really annoying. We're working on improving the situation, starting with the size of the Tools packages.

• 7. Re: Is there a way to reduce the size of vmware-server-2rc1 install?
                      rhsoftware Hot Shot

Hm - especially for the linux-rpm-versions it would be really nice to spilt it into smaller rpms and pack all into one tar.bz2 for download

So the package-manager can make sure that depended packages are installed without install all at once

As sample - since openjdk is going to more and more distributions there is no need for a java-installation

A clean made rpm can solve this and install the sun-java only if open-jdk is not installed

I have copied one of the files to my open-jdk installation and replaced the java shipped with vmware with a symlink to /etc/alternatives, this works like a charme and all installed software (even commercial like zendstudio for eclipse) is happy with this.

For windows this is all a problem because the system has so suitable package-managing

For linux-hosts there is no need to install all at once and for security reasons its better to keep the setup as small as can and let the system decide about updates whereever this is possible

If vmware helps a little bit with open-vm-tools to ship them with rpm-packages you could support much more guest-os

As sample - Foedra 9 with pre-release of kernel 2.6.26 will not build all modules in the guest

Replacing the vmware-tar-files with the sources and all works really good with the normal vmware-config-tools.pl

The following shell-script replaces the vmware-source-tars after downloading open-vm-tools in the same folder

root@localhost:/data$ cat open-vmware-tools.sh

#!/bin/bash

tar -xzf open-vm-tools-*.gz

cd open-vm-tools-*/modules/linux

modsrc="/usr/lib/vmware-tools/modules/source"

for x in `ls -d v*`

do

mv $x $-only      tar -cf $x.tar $-only

mv $-only $x

mv $modsrc/$x.tar $modsrc/$x.tar.orig

mv $x.tar $modsrc

done

vmware-config-tools.pl

• 8. Re: Is there a way to reduce the size of vmware-server-2rc1 install?
                        Expert

The right way to fix this long term is to try to get the distributions that we support (e.g. Red Hat, SuSE, and Ubuntu) to offer VMware Tools packages as part of their distribution repositories. The Open VM Tools project was the first step towards achieving this goal but it's a very long and complicated process. Moreover, for the foreseeable future there are likely to still be many distributions which we support but which might not be willing to ship VMware Tools, possibly just because we don't have the resources to reach out to and work with the distribution vendor.

The reason we put such an emphasis on shipping pre-built module binaries rather than sources is because distributions don't install a compiler and build environment by default, and in particular, installations used in production often exclude these tools e.g. since they represent a potential security risk.

• 9. Re: Is there a way to reduce the size of vmware-server-2rc1 install?
                          devsk Enthusiast

hmmm...I think all this talk of vmware tools is just smoke screen. This product has just become bloated with 2.0. Accept it! The biggest contributors were, yes, the ISO files for guest tools but apache and jdk made about 200MB of the install. There you have it. The install can never be smaller than 200MB, which is really a huge number in itself.

The memory footprint of this thing has increased as well. While others are moving to make things faster and less resource intensive, vmware-server has gone in the opposite direction. It has more moving parts now, more daemons and more memory is consumed before even the first VM is powered up.

I just had to vent my frustration with vmware-server. I think its gone in the wrog direction. And forced me to move away from vmware-server without an upgrade path. Probably that was the idea of 2.0 to begin with...;-)

• 10. Re: Is there a way to reduce the size of vmware-server-2rc1 install?
                            rhsoftware Hot Shot

We plan to build an esx-environment in a short time

There will exist ONE build-server cloned originally from the goldenmaster

On this machine dist-upgrades and updates will installed first, tested and such things as vmware-guest-modules built

After all tests a small rsync-script will copy the pre-built open-vm-tools on the other machines

So the modules are there after reboot and there ar enot needed compilers at all

On the build-vm will also "live" a local yum-repo for additional rpms and rebuilts with -mtune=native (GCC 4.3)

My essential question is WHY the rpm is one big thing instead of a couple of small rpms with rigtht dependencies?

So you can solve the jdk-setup and on distributions (directly supported or not) with an openjdk in the official repos will not install a additional jdk

The same about vmware-tools, if you make it right its possible to make clear in what way the packages if distribution supports it must be versioned to avoid the install of the vmware-server-package.

I think there are some ways to solve this without big troubles and get more distributions to work with, independet if they are official supportd

I would like to see fedora directly supported which means in this case: check if the modules will build on new kernels, most time small changes will fix this - Fedora is one of the best server-distributions and not so far away from RHEL as ubuntu

• 11. Re: Is there a way to reduce the size of vmware-server-2rc1 install?
                              sej7278 Enthusiast
                              rhsoftware wrote:

> I would like to see fedora directly supported which means in this case: check if the modules will build on new kernels, most time small changes will fix this - Fedora is one of the best server-distributions and not so far away from RHEL as ubuntu

you are joking aren't you - fedora is a lovely desktop os (i use it myself) but sucks as a server os, unless you really want to replace your server every 6 months! and of course its closer to rhel than ubuntu - ubuntu is based on debian not redhat; and at least has a longterm-support option; probably why vmware support ubuntu/rhel and not fedora.

as far as using openjdk and getting closed binaries into the kernel, good luck with that - oracle, ibm and much bigger players than vmware have tried and failed. oracle/websphere install their own apache, perl, java, tomcat and goodness knows what else, so that they don't have to be reliant on the distro's update schedule.

if vmware hadn't gone the web interface route, we would still have a 100mb package and a lovely console that works on non-microsoft operating systems, but that's another story.....

as far as "open" vmware tools goes, isn't it a tiny subset of the tools - you certainly can't compile a full toolset out of the "open" source. the funny thing is, sun and novell have managed to be more open than vmware!

• 12. Re: Is there a way to reduce the size of vmware-server-2rc1 install?
                                rhsoftware Hot Shot

Thats no joke

Our Fileserver was running Fedora from FC3 to FC8 and of course the dist-upgrade is a thing you can make without stopping any service, reboot the machine and that was is - Jokes are the long-time-supports with outdated php-versions, this is for people who fears every upgrade

open-vm-tools are enough -> WHAT do you need additionally to the kernel-modules? On a server simply nothing

I know that many companies deliver own jdk and some other stuff

zend does this also with ZendStudio for eclipse

But you can kill the "jre"-Folder and replace it to a symlink and all works

The same is possible with vmware-server Java, i have running it here with openjdk

To package every ******* tool in the installer is the windows-way and for endusers with less knowhow to install a clean machine