7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2008 12:01 PM by Peter_vm

Accessing VMs from remote locations

antec0721 Novice

deleted

• 1. Re: Accessing VMs from remote locations
          Peter_vm Guru

RDP to Windows XP guest.

Or use "VMware legacy VNC" to access guest.

• 2. Re: Accessing VMs from remote locations
            antec0721 Novice

Do I need to install anything on the remote computer that I am trying to access the VM from or can I use the windows xp Remote Desktop Connection program?

• 3. Re: Accessing VMs from remote locations
              Peter_vm Guru

For RDP you would use Remote Desktop Connection program.

• 4. Re: Accessing VMs from remote locations
                antec0721 Novice

Okay, I didn't install any VMware program on the remote computer, and I am trying to access the VM using Remote Desktop Connection.  However, it keeps giving me the erorr that I can't connect to the remote computer.  Any clues as to why this might be?

Appreciate the help.

• 5. Re: Accessing VMs from remote locations
                  TomHowarth Guru
                  User ModeratorsvExpert

How have you set up Networking on your VMguest,  if it is Bridged or NAT'd you will need to know the IP address of the Guest. note this is the Guest IP address and not the IP address of the Host machine.  if you have used Host Only then you will not be able to access this externally over the network as this is an internal only network,  you will need to use the Server Console to access.

Further have you activated Remote Access on the XP guest and assigned users who can have access, this is not activated by default.

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

• 6. Re: Accessing VMs from remote locations
                    antec0721 Novice

So I think I found out the reason I'm having problems doing the remote desktop.  I read on some other forums that if you use NAT connection that only the host can see the IP of the virtual machine, and that bridged networking is the way to go for the virtual machine.  However, when I choose bridged networking, I can't seem to get connected to the internet with the virtual machine.  Is this because bridged networking requires its own IP?  Since I am using comcast at home, I only have one IP, and the router is used to get multiple physical computers online.  But will I be out of luck as far as setting up this virtual machine on the internet and being able to RDP to it?

• 7. Re: Accessing VMs from remote locations
                      Peter_vm Guru

No, you are not out of luck.

Use bridging for guest XP. Set static IP for it, within same network subnet as VMware host. Check Internet connectivity and disable guest XP firewall.

Let say router uses 192.168.0.1 and guest uses 192.168.0.100

In that LAN router, enable port forwarding:

TCP port 3389 -> 192.168.0.100:3389

Then from internet computer establish Remote Desktop Connection to publicIP of that router.