VMware Cloud Community
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

EMC getting ready for something?

So I was just reading through some business articles and came across this one. It talks about a lot of activity from EMC, more so than usual and a possible buyout or selling of the VMware 85% stake could be up for grabs? Thoughts?

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

these rumours have been going around for awhile now and so far nothing happened. I don't think anyone on the forum can tell you what will happen over the next months / years.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mreferre
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The elaboration of the theory is interesting and probably sound too..... however I am wondering the data that backs it ...

> Then Microsoft (MSFT) and Oracle (ORCL) aggressively entered the virtualization space.

Ok we can discuss MS ..... but Oracle entering <aggresively> the virtualization market? Which Oracle? The one that does the database? Mh ....

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Interesting that today is 8/9, the article was posted on 8/5 and it talks about 8/4 as being a future date:

"EMC is set to present at the Pacific Crest Securities technology conference in Vail, CO on August 4."

If something is afoot "in the next 15 days", time is quickly running out!

Ken Cline

Technical Director, Virtualization

Wells Landers[/url]

VMware Communities User Moderator

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I seem to remember EMC releasing the CX-4 Model set. within this timescale. Rumours - some you win some make you look a price fool

Tom Howarth

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

these rumours have been going around for awhile now and so far nothing happened. I don't think anyone on the forum can tell you what will happen over the next months / years.

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
proden20
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

An excerpt from an article on ITPRO

http://www.itpro.co.uk/606522/whats-happened-to-vmware

"VMware isn’t a firm in danger of disappearing, by going out of business or by acquisition; EMC has too much at stake, and the firm still turns over enough profit. What is at stake is the ability for this company to take its product beyond basic virtualisation and deliver on the cloud computing platform plans it described.

Without the best staff – or indeed, any staff – onside with the new chief executive, this won’t happen. And without shareholders investing, this won’t happen. And if VMware spends its energy fending off Microsoft, nothing good will come of the virtualisation market.

VMware can shrug off the past year and make a fresh start, and maintain its competitive advantage over Microsoft. The firm is great at surprises, so hopefully – especially for all those looking to virtualisation as the platform of the future – the next year is full of the good kind."

All I can ask as an admin relying on VMWare is that the engineers stay on board and continue pioneering. There are alot of virtualization admins happy to be working in a non-microsoft world, and alot of VMWare fans who are proud to run this hypervisor.

0 Kudos