I am trying to find a way to match the SAN LUNs that have been presented to a VCB proxy server in our VI 3.5 environment with the LUN ID's/VMFS ID's I can see in the service console of our ESX 3.5U2 hosts. However, I see some discrepancies that I cannot explain with my (limited) knowledge of VMFS.
On the ESX 3.5 hosts, I log onto the service console and issue the following commands to obtain the VMFS ID's:
ls -al /vmfs/volumes
The results are (obviously) consistent and the ID's I obtain are the following:
(A) vmhba1:4:1:1 /dev/sdc1 483cf914-29b60dc5-dbfd-001cc497e630
(B) vmhba1:0:2:1 /dev/sdb1 48858dc4-f4e218d1-d3a8-001cc497e630
I added the letters for later reference. The next step is to go to our VCB proxy server which runs a Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition. This is a physical machine that has the same LUN's & some additional LUN's from other ESX servers presented and has the latest VCB 1.5 installed. Here, I use the vcbSanDbg.exe command to discover the VMFS volumes that are presented to that host (the exact command is vcbSanDbg.exe | findstr "ID" ). The output is the following:
(1) ID: LVID:48761b97-dacedf9f-ebb9-0017085d0f91/48761b97-a4f562bd-6875-0017085d0f91/1 Name: 48761b97-a4f562bd-6875-0017085d
(2) ID: LVID:48761bc6-7b4afa63-97d9-0017085d0f91/48761bc5-3f508baa-2f5d-0017085d0f91/1 Name: 48761bc5-3f508baa-2f5d-0017085d
(3) ID: LVID:483cf913-458f9fa5-a749-001cc497e630/483cf913-05b4f526-45b5-001cc497e630/1 Name: 483cf913-05b4f526-45b5-001cc497
(4) ID: LVID:479da7b6-877867e9-dd06-001cc497e630/479da7ac-55fe7dfe-378c-001cc497e630/1 Name: 479da7ac-55fe7dfe-378c-001cc497
(5) ID: LVID:477c2b4a-969e01e0-8d49-001cc495fb46/477c2b4a-7db36616-30ea-001cc495fb46/1 Name: 477c2b4a-7db36616-30ea-001cc495
(6) ID: LVID:48843bec-28cc17a4-ca9e-001cc495fb46/48843bec-154cf784-871a-001cc495fb46/1 Name: 48843bec-154cf784-871a-001cc495
The problem is linking the two outputs; as you can see, the VMFS ID's are not entirely the same, but there is some resemblance:
(A) vmhba1:4:1:1 483cf914-29b60dc5-dbfd-001cc497e630 is more or less (2) LVID:xyz / 483cf913-05b4f526-45b5-001cc497e630 / 1
(B) vmhba1:4:2:1 479da7c1-4494cd90-d327-001cc497e630 is more or less (4) LVID: xyz / 479da7ac-55fe7dfe-378c-001cc497e630 / 1
Is this just a pure coincidence? Am I missing something, and in that case, is there some other way of retrieving the VMFS ID's of LUNs presented to a Windows host?
Thanks for any help!