1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 31, 2008 5:59 AM by tiffers

Installing VMWare Server 2.0 RC1 on Slackware 12.0

tiffers Lurker

Hi all,

I'm trying to install the current (Build 101586) VMware Server 2.0 RC1 on my Slackware Linux 12.0 server. (kernel 2.6.21-5)

The install script proceeds as expected up until the run of vmware-config.pl, and then it hangs. I've run strace and notice it hansg when trying to 'read'  a 'file'. Also after running the script a number of times, I notice a bunch of lines similar to:

sh -c '/bin/grep' '^[0-9a-fA-F]\{8\} \w printk' /proc/kallsyms 2> /dev/null

If I run this from the command prompt, I get a 'grep error' and a usage description. if I remove the sh -c and the single quote marks from the /bin/grep and run it against /proc/kallsyms thusly:

/bin/grep '^[0-9a-fA-F]\{8\} \w printk' /proc/kallsyms

I get output which then hangs.

ctrl-c does nothing. ctrl-z does nothing. kill -term, kill -15, kill -9, from another shell all do nothing.

Does anyone understand what is going wrong here?

Thanks,

Collin

• 1. Re: Installing VMWare Server 2.0 RC1 on Slackware 12.0
          tiffers Lurker

Well I figured out what my problem was. I had recently re-compiled my kernel, and a modprobe of the ztdummy kernel module (from asterisk) had hung. This must have also affected the output of /proc/kallsyms and thus the grep.

I have been able to finish the install, and vmware server starts up ok, but I have a problem. the webAccess service doesn't return an \[  OK  \] when it's started (or stopped), nor a \[ FAILED \]. it seems to be listening on tcp6 ports 8005 8009 and 8xxx something else. I already have an apache 2 server running on this box, using ports 80 and 443, so during the configure process, I accepted the default alternative ports of 8222 for straight http access and 8333 for secure, but it seems that the webAccess server (apache/tomcat?) isn't listening on those ports.

I found the viclient install exe in lib directory and copied it across to my PC (win XP pro) but it says the server can't read input from the client.

I have removed everything from my server, and will wait to hear any suggestions on what to try to make this work for me.

Cheers,

Collin