VMware Cloud Community
carwyn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there anyway to run 64-bit guest on a 32-bit Host?

I have 2 power edge 1950 with ESX3 but i wont let me install a "Windows 2003 enterprise 64-bit" OS

Is there anything I can do make this work. I just want to check a bit software works on 64-bit system. I also tried workstation6 and that complained too.

Is the only way to run 64-bit guest is to have 64-bit host?

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, the physical server. Will work on a desktop too....

Check the Processor Check for 64-Bit Compatibility for your workstation.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Check out this discussion.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
carwyn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks does this mean the VT setting on the physical server?

Would this work on a desktop with vmware workstation too?

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, the physical server. Will work on a desktop too....

Check the Processor Check for 64-Bit Compatibility for your workstation.

0 Kudos
carwyn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thats great thanks, my desktop is not comatible niether are 2 of spare servers here.

One more thing, do you think it will be ok for me to use the Processor Check for 64-Bit Compatibility on a ESX host?

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If your server isn't 64bit, there is 0 chance you will be able to run a 64bit guest.

--Matt

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
fusebox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes,there is 0 chance you will be able to run a 64bit OS on 32bit host...VMware cannot emulate a 64bit cpu when it isnt there..Infact,CPU is the only one which is not emulated...The guest os actually accesses cpu directly..Imagine a virtual motherboard with a hole in the place where cpu sits...In that hole,vmware sees the actual cpu/processor and not a virtual cpu.

Ic3M
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

There is one other item to take into account, if using ESX in a cluster in virtual center - ALL hosts must support Intel VT technology (and have it enabled in the BIOS) inorder to create a x64 VM. Otherwise you will get an error stating you can't put a 64bit OS on a 32bit host.

0 Kudos
phamthanhdong
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here is my result with the checking scrip:

-------------------------------

$ ./VMware-guest64check-5.5.0-18463
This host is capable of running a 64-bit guest operating system under this
VMware product.

Does it mean just my processors have VT feature or I can run 64-bit guest os now?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

phamthanhdong wrote:

Here is my result with the checking scrip:

$ ./VMware-guest64check-5.5.0-18463
This host is capable of running a 64-bit guest operating system under this
VMware product.

Does it mean just my processors have VT feature or I can run 64-bit guest os now?

It means that you either have a modern AMD processor or an Intel processor with VT-x capability.  If you have an Intel processor, you still have to make sure that VT-x is enabled in the BIOS.

0 Kudos
phamthanhdong
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It is clear, thank you!

0 Kudos