4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2008 12:44 PM by Wasps

Slow Bridged Network Performance

Wasps Lurker

Hiya,

I have just upgraded from VMware Server 1.0.x

My host machine is an intel quad core 2.4Ghz with 4GB RAM, running Vista Home Premium.

This machine doesn't do anything other than host the virtual machines.

Since upgrading, i've noticed the network connection speed of all the VM's has reduced dramatically.

Copying a file of approx 150MB from the host to the guest is impossible.

I gave up after 30 minutes of apparently no progress.

If i switch to host only, i can copy the file in literally seconds.

The performance problems aren't limited to communicating with the host, but also the other VM's.

Having search through a few of the forums, I can see that a lot of people have had similar issues with VM Server 2, but usually only with Linux hosts.

As such, I can't perform the same fixes.

Is this a problem that a lot of Windows users are having, or am I special?

Is there anything I can do to resolve this?

On a side note, on initially upgrading to RC1, and installing the latest VM tools, the network speed was only registered on my Win2k3 VM's as 10MB.

Manually changing the driver has meant that the netowrk connection speed is now reported as 1GB, however it doesn't appear to make any difference to the actual transfer rate so it's probably just a reporting change.

Thanks for any help.

Steve

• 1. Re: Slow Bridged Network Performance
          Peter_vm Guru
          Wasps wrote:

On a side note, on initially upgrading to RC1, and installing the latest VM tools, the network speed was only registered on my Win2k3 VM's as 10MB.

Manually changing the driver has meant that the netowrk connection speed is now reported as 1GB, however it doesn't appear to make any difference to the actual transfer rate so it's probably just a reporting change.

So was 10MB before. That is meaningless.

Is your physical host plugged in into gigabit switch?

Did you try to disable offloading features in your host NIC?

Did you create a completely new guest in RC1 to test its speed?

Is your network speed problem symetrical or asymetrical?

Did you check your host disk for any read/write errors (surface scan)?

• 2. Re: Slow Bridged Network Performance
            BioRunner Lurker

I'm seeing sort the same issue right now.

I wanted to test out one of our webservers as a VM.  So I setup a fresh VMWARE Server Beta 2 RC1.  I did a physical to virtual of one of my websites.  Everything loaded up wonderfully, just perfect.  But then I did some speed tests on the site and I noticed the virtual sites web pages take about 1 second longer to load then the physical box.  The VM Server has GIG nics and its hooked up into a GIG network.....  same network and setup as the physical webserver, yet the pages take 1 second longer to load....  I've done some file transfers as well and they take little longer on the VM then on the physical...

I this just common with a VM server... guess you get what you pay for...

Is there any performance tweaking writeups out there?

Thank you

• 3. Re: Slow Bridged Network Performance
              Peter_vm Guru

First thing to do, is to look at your host performance and see where bottlenecks are.

• 4. Re: Slow Bridged Network Performance
                Wasps Lurker

Hi Peter,

Sorry for the delay in coming back to you.

Your answer was correct. As soon as I disabled the offloading features on the host NIC, the network connections came back up to speed.

Just for info, I did some calculations and i was getting transfer rates of approximately 30Kb/s before changing this.

Thanks for your help

Steve