2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2008 2:39 PM by korb

Duplicate domain name in FQDN

korb Novice

Hello,

I have Server 2.0RC1 installed on an Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit server. For some reason, after installation the web admin UI lists the FQDN of my host system with the domain listed twice.

In both the inventory pane and the general pane, my server is listed as host.domain.com.domain.com. Note that when I run "uname -n" on my machine, it returns host.domain.com, so I suspect that the installer automatically appends the domain name to the system hostname without checking to see if that name is already a FQDN.

This doesn't appear to hurt anything (the web interface appears to be fully functional) but I suspect it may cause problems down the road. Is there anyway that I can fix this?

Thanks,

Bill

• 1. Re: Duplicate domain name in FQDN
          oreeh Guru

Looks like you've omitted the trailing dot in the resolver configuration files (/etc/resolv.conf) or in the zone files.

• 2. Re: Duplicate domain name in FQDN
            korb Novice

Thanks for the reply.

My zone files do indeed have the trailing dot, so those are OK. My domain is only specified in the resolv.conf files in the search path (not a domain directive). My NIS domain is "domain.com" and should never have a trailing dot (at least in the last 20 years that I've been using NIS, that's never been necessary). Since that it the case, I suspect that Server is getting the domain name via a call to the domainname command, which reports the NIS domain.

In any case, I believe that it should be able to deal with this configuration as it's pretty standard.

Thanks,

Bill