8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2008 7:51 AM by MB2000

Win2k3SP2 Won't Install - "...policies to prevent this installation."

ksDevGuy Novice

Gear: Two new Dell 1950 servers (dual quad-core 2.66, 16GB, RAID1 boot, RAID 10 DAS volume)

Problem: VMWare Server 2.0 RC1 fails to install (never get's to first qizard dialog even)

Error Msg: "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation."

Both machines are indentical clean stand-alone installs, nothing has been done yet! Strangely, at one point the installer actually ran through to the first dialog without giving the error message --- I don't know why, and it hasn't been able to do it since.

Getting bad feelings about VMWare ... any input on this, or like many should I be considering Windows Server 2008 VMM/Virtual Server stuff?

Thanks all,

ksDevGuy

• 2. Re: Win2k3SP2 Won't Install - "...policies to prevent this installation."
          GARETTCOM Lurker

None of these articles correctly address the issue that's happening with the policy error in Microsoft Windows Server 2003 SP2.  Has this been replicated at VMware for testing?  I noticed that the first article is a random tech forum for a issue for a unrelated program and the microsoft knowledge base article is for another error message.  I've had a system down for about 5 hours that we use regularly for testing VMware to see if it's going to be usable in a production situation when the registration locked out all of the systems and we were forced to upgrade to the RC1, yet it is has not been able to be installed correctly and it's an obvious issue with anyone using an out of the box Windows 2003 Server installation.

This is really lowering my expectations for quality of VMware products when the old beta had no installation problems what-so-ever yet the release canidate has me completely without a system which had several servers running on it virtually.  At the very least we should have a work around to get the old beta release working on our systems while this issue is addressed.  Why is there a policy problem with the new installer and not the old one is my question it seems like it was something that was avoided before.

I'd really appreciate either a working installation package or a work around to get my old installation working properly while this issue is addressed by VMware.

Cheers

Gary Bottom

Information Systems Manager

GarrettCom, INC.

• 3. Re: Win2k3SP2 Won't Install - "...policies to prevent this installation."
            Apollo-Delphi Novice

I had the same issue and  the KB article did not apply as well.  Workaround: log in with a local admin account vs. domain.  If that does not work, run the install as the system account via the at scheduler service: AT 0:0 /INTERACTIVE CMD  (where 0:0 is a minute later than the current  time in 24hr format.)  Once the dos prompt is launched in interactive mode, run the install package.

• 4. Re: Win2k3SP2 Won't Install - "...policies to prevent this installation."
              Peter_vm Guru

Did you check MD5 chcksums on downloaded packages?

• 5. Re: Win2k3SP2 Won't Install - "...policies to prevent this installation."
                ksDevGuy Novice

Well blew a new Dell 1950 Model III server several times and laid down in various combinations ultimately with a default/stock Windows Server 2003 Standard x64 (w/integrated SP1) stand-alone .... nothing else not even the network interface drivers, etc. -- base, default, clean install. Then copied VMWare Server 2.0 RC1 from an 8GB USB thumbdrive, & later also from a 500GB USB ext. hard drive, and it fails as usual (I have downloaded the VMWare file three different times from different browsers & networks and over three different connections - 10mbps fiber, OC-3, Cable modem).

BTW, under all installs and configurations I can install every other application & driver under the moon without a single issue ... just not VMWare Server 2.0 RC1.

UPDATE 1

Applied the untested hotfix downloadable from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925336 as "peter_vm" suggested in his reply to my first post on the stripped SP1 install mentioned above .... and voila the first wizard dialog finally shows!! Strange I didn't get that result with SP2, driver loaded, etc. installs previously - however, it does appear to work on a stripped SP1 install.Will try another SP2 fully loaded config.

UPDATE 2

Although the KB article error is 100% not the issue we are facing, the hotfix is the solution to the problem. I have now successfully installed onto three different Windows Server 2003 Std/Ent SP1/SP2 x64 hosts by applying the hotfix first. I hope this helps others!

UPDATED SUMMARY

Bottom line, the latest release has bloated the size of the single-file EXE installer sufficiently it is unexpectedly large for at the very least x64 editions of Windows Server 2003 SP1/SP2. Microsoft has a hotfix to kludge around this limitation that appears to work even though their description of the problem us different than the one we are having. It seems to me, VMWare may want to think about addressing this by reducing the file size before going gold to keep more folks like us from getting frustrated and adding it to our lists of annoyances with VMWare lately? Just a proactive thought.

Ultimately, thank you "peter_vm" you had the answer even though for unknown reasons several install combinations I tried didn't seem to work (however, I could have been rushing through too many options at the time - who knows). 

ksDevGuy

• 6. Re: Win2k3SP2 Won't Install - "...policies to prevent this installation."
                  Expert
                  ksDevGuy wrote:

Bottom line, the latest release has bloated the size of the single-file EXE installer sufficiently it is unexpectedly large for at the very least x64 editions of Windows Server 2003 SP1/SP2. Microsoft has a hotfix to kludge around this limitation that appears to work even though their description of the problem us different than the one we are having. It seems to me, VMWare may want to think about addressing this by reducing the file size before going gold to keep more folks like us from getting frustrated and adding it to our lists of annoyances with VMWare lately? Just a proactive thought.

Yes, I am really, really hoping we can do something about this very soon. It's probably the first, and possibly the most important, problem that any Windows user will encounter.

• 7. Re: Win2k3SP2 Won't Install - "...policies to prevent this installation."
                    pistolp3t3 Lurker

I had the same problem.

I did not install the hotfix.  To find the solution that finally worked I started here:

http://www.vmware.com/products/beta/vmware_server/releasenotes_vmserver2.html

"When attempting to install VMware Server on a Windows 2003 Server host, you might see the error message System Administrator has set policies to prevent this installation.
                    Workaround: Right-click the installer file, choose Run as, and enter the Administrator username and password. For additional information, see http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=590630&SiteID=17."

The above workaround did not work for me.  However; the forum link had the answer:

This worked for me:

1. Click Start -> Control Panel

2. Open Administrative Tools

3. Open Local Security Settings

4. Click Software Restriction Policies

1. If
                                         no software restrictions are defined, right click the Software
                                         Restriction Policies node and select New Software Restriction Policy

5. Double click Enforcement

6. Select "All users except local administrators"

7. Click OK

8. Reboot the machine

• 8. Re: Win2k3SP2 Won't Install - "...policies to prevent this installation."
                      MB2000 Lurker

This worked for me:

1. Click Start -> Control Panel

2. Open Administrative Tools

3. Open Local Security Settings

4. Click Software Restriction Policies

1. If

no software restrictions are defined, right click the Software

Restriction Policies node and select New Software Restriction Policy

5. Double click Enforcement

6. Select "All users except local administrators"

7. Click OK

8. Reboot the machine

THANK YOU! You made my day!