VMware Communities
tietze
Contributor
Contributor

How to disable the bouncing dock icon?

Hi, I'm looking for a solution for disabling the bouncing dock icon when vmware restores or suspends virtual machines.

3056_3056.png

3055_3055.png

When quitting or starting up a suspended virtual machine or suspending a virtual machine the dock icon begins bouncing while a progress bar shows that something is happening. I have no use for such a distracting "bouncing dock notification" while a virtual machine loads in the background and I am doing something else. Is there a configuration file to edit or a defaults command to execute that will silence the counterproductive notifications from the application?

Any help appreciated.

Best Regards,

Jørgen.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Apple menu > System Preferences... > Dock > uncheck the "Animate opening applications" checkbox.

0 Kudos
tietze
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, it was worth trying, but this only disables the initial bopping when the program is starting up, and which is not visible when the Dock is hidden.

When Fusion suspends or restores virtual machines it notifies the user by making the icon jump outside the hidden Dock and onto the desktop area as shown in the above picture. Luckily the icon is not able to escape completely and begin to wander around on the desktop Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
tietze
Contributor
Contributor

According to another thread regarding the same subject it has been logged as a bug:

<http://communities.vmware.com/message/994567>

0 Kudos
Pbryanw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just wondering what's happening about this bug? It's been about a year since this thread was started and my Fusion icon still bounces when coming out of suspend mode. Any ETA on this, or is it a case of it's done when it's done?

0 Kudos