1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2008 3:52 AM by jarl

Server 2 RC1 reboots ubuntu 8.04 server host-system

bluechris Novice

Hi all,

I encountered a major problem updating to VMWare Server 2 RC1. I previously used Beta 2 and it worked like a charm. Host is Ubuntu 8.04 server, current patchlevel.

Everytime I try to start one of my old guest systems, the host system just reboots. I see the statusbar for the start process proceeding up to 90-95% before the system restarts. It does not make any difference if I'm using the WebUI or the current VMWare Infrastructure Client.

Unfortunately there is no helpful information in the logfile:

syslog only contains:

Jul 11 18:50:37 ubuntu kernel: http:// 1217.230607 /dev/vmmon[8539]: PTSC: initialized at 901577000 Hz using TSC

hostd.log is attached.

At first I installe RC1 without deinstalling Beta 2. After I had this problem the first time I deinstalled RC1 and reinstalled it, no betterment.

Previous Server 2 Beta 2 together with vmware-any-any-update-115a worked like a charme.

Any ideas what's going wrong here? I've read postings from several guys using RC1 at ubuntu 8.04 server without any problems, I just don't ave a clue what my problem is.

best regards,

chris

• 1. Re: Server 2 RC1 reboots ubuntu 8.04 server host-system
          Expert

Here's a list of things that would help in diagnosing your problem:

- What CPU are you using? Please post the output of:

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo

- Can you upload the VM's log, i.e. /path/to/vm/vmware.log?

- Please list all the kernel modules you have loaded:

$ lsmod

• 2. Re: Server 2 RC1 reboots ubuntu 8.04 server host-system
            bluechris Novice

Hi,

thanks for your rapid answer. Below the requested information and attached. It's only a simple and old homeserver.

The vmware.log is from an guest system created with RC1, the problem remains the same.

cat /proc/cpuinfo:

processor       : 0

vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD

cpu family      : 6

model           : 3

model name      : AMD Duron(tm)

stepping        : 1

cpu MHz         : 902.078

cache size      : 64 KB

fdiv_bug        : no

hlt_bug         : no

f00f_bug        : no

coma_bug        : no

fpu             : yes

fpu_exception   : yes

cpuid level     : 1

wp              : yes

flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up

bogomips        : 1805.84

clflush size    : 32

• 3. Re: Server 2 RC1 reboots ubuntu 8.04 server host-system
              Expert

Hmm. I imagine a 900 MHz Duron should be a supported CPU, but I'll ping some folks internally to confirm that.

In the meantime, could you also try running memtest on the machine? I know that you've probably been using this machine for a long time without problems, but the way we access physical memory changes from release to release and can stress your memory subsystem in strange and unusual ways.

Finally, could you repeat these tests with all the VM debugging options turned on? Configure the VM, and then under the Advanced tab, check "Record runtime information", and select "Debugging information".

You can also try checking the "disable acceleration" box. I'd be curious to know if checking "disable acceleration" avoids the host reset. Note that the VM will probably be noticeably slower with this option checked.

• 4. Re: Server 2 RC1 reboots ubuntu 8.04 server host-system
                bluechris Novice

Hi again,

well, at least I hope a 900MHz Duron will be supported, as even this machine is mostly bored to death

attached the requested debug log.

Disabling acceleration does not help.If the VM had at least been noticeably slower but running I would have been glad

For a memtest I first have to search for a CD-drive and a bootable CD, I will provide information tomorrow. However, if I remember correctly I did a memtest with this board without errors 2 or 3 months ago. Nevertheless, I will do some further testing.

cheers,

chris

• 5. Re: Server 2 RC1 reboots ubuntu 8.04 server host-system
                  Expert

Sorry, can you post the VM log (vmware.log) with debugging on?

The hostd.log is only for management stuff, it typically won't have any useful information when trying to analyze a problem like this since hostd (our management agent) isn't involved in VM execution at all.

• 6. Re: Server 2 RC1 reboots ubuntu 8.04 server host-system
                    bluechris Novice

Oh, sorry for my misunderstanding, please find the proper logfile attached.

• 7. Re: Server 2 RC1 reboots ubuntu 8.04 server host-system
                      Peter_vm Guru

How much physical memory do you have?

Can you reduce your guest assigned RAM from 512 to 256MB?

• 8. Re: Server 2 RC1 reboots ubuntu 8.04 server host-system
                        bluechris Novice

I've 768MB RAM. Reducing the guest assigned RAM to 256 or even 128MB does not do any better.

Right now I'm running memtest86 v1.70. I will run it for a few hours to see if there are any memory problem.

EDIT:

Memtest has now been running for more than 2:30 hours without any error. I think the RAM is ok

• 9. Re: Server 2 RC1 reboots ubuntu 8.04 server host-system
                          jarl Novice

I am also experiencing this on openSuSE 10.1 host, see http://communities.vmware.com/thread/161129?tstart=0

• 10. Re: Server 2 RC1 reboots ubuntu 8.04 server host-system
                            tumbleweed Enthusiast

I have seen a bug which I suspect might be in the vmnet-bridge module and might only be triggered by some ethernet cards.  If your virtual machine is currently on a bridged network, you could try configuring it with hostonly networking.  Also, I have used the following to compile the vmware loadable modules with debugging enabled, and then when the crash occurs if it is in one of the vmware modules, you will see where it is.  Of course you could capture a crash dump as well.

Perhaps there is a way to specifiy debug to the vmware-config.pl script, but I just did this:

temporarily:

cd /usr/bin

mv gcc gcc.ORIG

cat > gcc

#! /bin/bash

exec /usr/bin/gcc.ORIG -g $*

^D

chmod ugo+x gcc

vmware-config.pl --compile

Nataraj

• 11. Re: Server 2 RC1 reboots ubuntu 8.04 server host-system
                              bluechris Novice

Hi,

thanks for your hint. Unfortunately it does not help at all.

First I switched to hostonly network --> same again, host system reboots when guest is started

I even removed the network interface from the guest image, does not do any better.

please find log files for both scenarios attached.

Possibly the more interesting thing is, that jarl and me are both using rather old AMD CPUs. Possibly this could be a starting point?

cheers,

chris

• 12. Re: Server 2 RC1 reboots ubuntu 8.04 server host-system
                                Expert
                                bluechris wrote:

Possibly the more interesting thing is, that jarl and me are both using rather old AMD CPUs. Possibly this could be a starting point?

I suspect that it is an old-AMD-CPU issue. We're investigating this issue internally. Unfortunately supporting older AMD CPUs are rather low on our priority list, but they are supposed to work AFAIK, and if we can determine conclusively that there is a problem that causes host resets on these CPUs at the very least we would disable/prevent power-on on such hosts. I can't promise that we would add back support for them if there is indeed an issue; often problems like this involve very specific and complex pieces of code in our hypervisor, or a combination of our hypervisor and a buggy CPU or chipset.

It would be helpful if you could run memtest on your host and verify that it reports no issues.

• 13. Re: Server 2 RC1 reboots ubuntu 8.04 server host-system
                                  bluechris Novice

Well, there must have been a change in the hypervisor between Beta 2 and RC1 that causes this problem as Beta 2 was running like a charm. You already suggested to run memtest and I did. I had it running for 2:30h without issues. Therefore I don't think there is a problem.

It would be a pity if VMWare Server won't run on older AMD CPUs. IMHO preventing power-on on such machines does not help at all. In that case even installing VMWare Server 2 should be prevented.

cheers,

chris

• 14. Re: Server 2 RC1 reboots ubuntu 8.04 server host-system
                                    jarl Novice

I can also confirm that everything worked good on Beta 2.

I have also run memtst overnight to the end, with no errors reported.

Jarl

1 2 Previous Next