VMware Communities
supratik
Contributor
Contributor

64 Bit gues operating systems are not supported by this host and will not run

Hi,

My host OS is Vista Ultimate and the guest OS I am trying to install is Fedora Core 3 64bit, but I get this error message "64 bit guest operating systems are not supported by this host and will not run".

I am using x64 Intel processor in Dell Optiplex 755, which is a 64 bit system. Is it possible to install FC3 in vmware under this scenario ?

Regards

Supratik

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

X64 Intel is not enough. You need VT featured processor.

This still applies:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1901

supratik
Contributor
Contributor

I have enabled VT in my BIOS but still I am getting the same error message. Can you please tell me what could be the problem ?

I am using the VMware workstation 6.0.3 and I am able to install 32 bit os.

Regards

Supratik

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It could be that you have mismatched processor steppings. Is it a multiprocessor system?

Also, you should be able to run the FC3 32-bit release fine, though obviously that won't help if you must run the 64-bit version for your purposes.

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

After enabling VT in BIOS, normal, warm reboot is not enough.

You have to completely power off your physical machine, then power it on (cold boot).

0 Kudos
supratik
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I power off my system and then started again, but it shows the same error for any 64 bit option. My system info is attached below, please let me know whether I can run 64 bit guest OS in this configuration or there are some settings I need to configure.

Regards

Supratik

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

Post information generated by CPUID

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

What BIOS version do you have?

0 Kudos
supratik
Contributor
Contributor

System - Optiplex 755

BIOS Version = A04

The images obtained from CPUID are attached below, please let me if more information is required.

Regards

Supratik

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

As you have already noticed, Intel E4500 does not have VT feature.

Therefore x64 guests are not possible on this host.

http://compare.intel.com/pcc/showchart.aspx?mmID=890241&familyID=1&culture=en-US

0 Kudos
supratik
Contributor
Contributor

In my BIOS it show that I have VT feature and I have enabled it, pleasee see the screenshots below.

Can you please suggest me any other way I can run 64 bit Fedora or I have to replace my CPU.

Please let me know if it is possible.

Regards

Supratik

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

If you want to run VMware x64 guests on this computer, you must replace CPU.

supratik
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

If I want to run 64 bit guest in vmware, which specific 64 bit Intel processor I should use. Please advice.

Regards

Supratik

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

The only requirements are 64 bit support and VT.

0 Kudos
aaaaaaaaaabbb
Contributor
Contributor

Having the same issue with Intel QX6700 processor, on BFG 680i SLI motherboard (latest bios), running Windows 7 RC1 Build 7100 x64 as host.

Trying install Windows XP Pro x64 as guest.

VT is enabled in bios and Processor Check for 64-Bit Compatibility passes the test.

In virtual machine settings option "VMware kernel paravirtualization" is unavailable (grayed out)

<EDIT>

After "hard" reboot everything is working fine...wonder what was the cause of this, because before I was running other 64bit guests just fine...

0 Kudos