VMware Cloud Community
Mr_Flibble1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dell 1800 Power Edge Compatibility

We have an extra Dell 1800 Poweredge Server sitting nearly idle, and it would be a perfect candidate for ESX if the ram was bumped to the 16 GB maximum. Our concern is getting ESX to function on it, but there is not much information available.

The best information I have found so far is archived here on the forum: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/54291

Has anyone here had experience with ESX 3.5 on this hardware? I would hate to nuke our oracle server and find out ESX won't run on the box! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is supported and will it run - The 1800 is not on any VI-3 Hardware Compatability List and dure to its age I do not expect to see it there so officially it will not be supported but this does not mean it will not run - I would first before spending any money upgrading see if you can load ESX on it and if you can then go ahead and spend the money ofr memory - the questions you will have to answer are:

1) Will you use this box for production or test/dev - if test/dev then I would not worry it will work -

2) If you are going to use it for production then you have to asses your comfort level of running part of your environment on unsupported hardware -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is supported and will it run - The 1800 is not on any VI-3 Hardware Compatability List and dure to its age I do not expect to see it there so officially it will not be supported but this does not mean it will not run - I would first before spending any money upgrading see if you can load ESX on it and if you can then go ahead and spend the money ofr memory - the questions you will have to answer are:

1) Will you use this box for production or test/dev - if test/dev then I would not worry it will work -

2) If you are going to use it for production then you have to asses your comfort level of running part of your environment on unsupported hardware -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Mr_Flibble1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That is a perfect solution, thanks! Yes, it is for Dev/Test, so full enterprise support won't be needed on this machine. Still, it will be good to get use out of it given that it has less than a 1% CPU utilization at the moment.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

number of my clients before mothballing servers will test to see if ESX will run - if it does the test/environmen gets expanded -