6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2013 6:04 PM by Tirelibirefe

Where do I get Vmware tools MSI ?

iburnell Enthusiast

I'm trying to capture a Vista build via SMS on Vmware Server. I find that it cannot get an IP address so it fails. After the fact if I fire up Vista it shows unknown ethernet controller. If I install Vmware tools it fixes it. So it looks like I need the to add the VMware tools MSI into my script to load it up first - I can't see that MSI anywhere - anyone know where I can get it please ??

Thanks

• 1. Re: Where do I get Vmware tools MSI ?
          AWo Guru

You always should install the VMware Tools. No only because of the network card.

You'll find the .msi file while you have mounted the VMware Tools .iso file...

...either while "Install VMware Tools..." is running in a guest. Copy it from there, it is attached as the virtual CD-ROM

...or by using an ISO extraction tool.

• 2. Re: Where do I get Vmware tools MSI ?
            dmaster Expert
            vExpertVMware Employees

On the ESX host you can find the .iso file for VMware Tools..

location /vmimages/tools-isoimages/windows.iso

• 3. Re: Where do I get Vmware tools MSI ?
              iburnell Enthusiast

Thanks for the answers. I appreciate VMtools is needed but in the scenario I'm using there's no O/S initially on the VMWare guest - the procedure runs Vista Setup - only once Vista is up could I do this

I have VMWare server 1.0.3 which was downloaded from the VMware site. No .ISO just and .exe file from which to extract and run the inital setup to install vmware server on my host PC so the issue is how to find wherever vmwaretools.msi is located

• 4. Re: Where do I get Vmware tools MSI ?
                AWo Guru

Method 1) Install a guest, choose to install VMware Tools, let it continue, open the CD with the Explorer and copy the whole stuff to the place where you need it (network share or whatever). If you like, because it doesn't fit to your scenario, kill the guest afterwards.

Method 2) Take a live CD, like Knoppix, boot it as a guest, choose to install the VMare Tools, go to the CD and copy it to wherever you need it.

Method 3) Locate your .iso image for Windows (should be "windows.iso"), take an ISO tool and extract it.

• 5. Re: Where do I get Vmware tools MSI ?
                  iburnell Enthusiast

Thanks AWo. I didn't realise the tools were in this Windows.iso. Having mounted it virtually you can simply copy the files off to a network drive and work with them there

Thanks for the info

• 6. Re: Where do I get Vmware tools MSI ?
                    Tirelibirefe Novice

Where do I get vmware tools.msi? Theere is no msi file in the ISO...