13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2008 12:25 PM by guyrleech

vmware infrastrucure client - editing not possible

btone Hot Shot

hi all,

after upgrading to rc1 I can not edit guests with infrastucture client. see screenshoots. of course I installed/upgraded to the version shipping with rc1.

I really got used to vic...

any ideas?

btone

• 1. Re: vmware infrastrucure client - editing not possible
          Paul Thomas Master

I've upgraded to RC1 too tonight, and installed the new VIC.  It looks as though its not compatible with the version 6 hardware.  I have an old version 4 VM and I can edit that, but get the same error as you with a version 6 VM. 

I've not really used the VIC for editing, so can't remeber if the old one worked with a version 6 VM.

• 2. Re: vmware infrastrucure client - editing not possible
            guyrleech Virtuoso

I've got this too which was rather a big blow as I only really use the VI Client other than when USB devices need connecting when I switch to the Web interface. I don't know where the build number in Help->About comes from because it doesn't seem to relate to the versions of vpxclient.exe and the dlls that get loaded. The VI Client installed from RC1 seems to bring with it versions 2.05.0000.64217. I've copied over version 2.0.5.0000.64207 that I had installed on another machine (from Beta 2 I think) and this does allow editing of the VM settings. Strangely though, running this same 64207 version on the machine where it is actualy installed insista you install the new version as soon as it connects to the Server unlike the behaviour of these same exe/dll files on my Vista laptop.

My upgrade process, on SuSE 10.3 x64, was to stop the Beta2 services, uninstall the Beta2 rpm and then install the RC1 rpm. Everything else seems ok thus far although having spent all my time since "upgrading" fighting with the VI Client, I haven't done much else other than boot my half dozen "core" VMs.

I'm also having problems with getting the console to work with the Web interface. It seems to have installed (has prompted me to install the ActiveX component and UAC has kicked in and I've given it administrator credentials). but even after a reboot it is refusing to display. It was working on the same Vista x86 laptop with Beta2 and I have gone through the deinstallation process of the add-on as per the release notes. Does work ok if I run the browser as an administrator. Guess it's time for Process Monitor ...

• 3. Re: vmware infrastrucure client - editing not possible
              guyrleech Virtuoso

Solved my Remote Console not working from the Web interface. Turns out that it has chosen to install the Console into the profile of the administrator account I gave when UAC kicked in during the installation of the console add-on so isn't accessible to my non-administrative account that I use day to day. It had installed into "c:\Users\admingl\AppData\Roaming\VMware\VMware Remote Console (Web) 2.5.0.100265" (this is Vista Enterprise x86 SP1) where "admingl" is my local administrative user.

To solve it, I moved the "VMware Remote Console (Web) 2.5.0.100265" folder into a more accessible/central location, did a regsvr32 on vmwareRemoteConsoleWeb.dll and made sure that users had access to the folder and files. I had the console working in Beta2 on the same Vista laptop and I definitely didn't hit this issue. Also not seen this with other add-ons in Vista.

It does seem to occasionally still fail to bring up the session in the console, giving an authentication error which then takes out IE too.

• 4. Re: vmware infrastrucure client - editing not possible
                btone Hot Shot

it worked with version 6 vms without problem - forgot to mention: upgraded all my vms to version 7 -  still not possible to change vm settings

this s****

• 5. Re: vmware infrastrucure client - editing not possible
                  egreiff Novice

I tried the VI client (build 64192) from our ESX server and editing of version 7 VMs works fine.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: vmware infrastrucure client - editing not possible
                    Peter_vm Guru

Obviously there is still something not completely right there, since VMware acknowledges that:

Can I use VMware Infrastructure Client to manage Server 2.0 Release Candidate 1

hosts?

Limited testing has been done with VMware Infrastructure Client 2.5.0 managing Server 2.0

Release Candidate 1 hosts. At this point, it is highly recommended that Server 2.0 Release

Candidate 1 hosts be managed using the VI Web Access management interface.

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/server2_rc1_faq.pdf

• 7. Re: vmware infrastrucure client - editing not possible
                      guyrleech Virtuoso

Thanks for the tip - I removed all versions of the VI Client I had anywhere on my Vista laptop, installed the client from ESX 3.5 update 1 (v 2.5.0 build 81946) and I can now edit VM settings.

• 8. Re: vmware infrastrucure client - editing not possible
                        btone Hot Shot

any chance to get this file as non paying customer?

thanks

btone

• 9. Re: vmware infrastrucure client - editing not possible
                          Peter_vm Guru

And why would you do that? VMware said - do not use it, we are working on it.

Still not supported so it can produce odd results...

• 10. Re: vmware infrastrucure client - editing not possible
                            btone Hot Shot

why? because I hate the webui - hmmmm, na, I almost got used to it

• 11. Re: vmware infrastrucure client - editing not possible
                              guyrleech Virtuoso

Isn't this kinda the idea of betas that you try things, that QA departments may not think to try or have the bandwidth to do, and then report back? Using VI Client at work with ESX, I like to use a single tool when managing my VMs so I now only use the WebUI for managing USB devices.

• 12. Re: vmware infrastrucure client - editing not possible
                                Peter_vm Guru
                                guyrleech wrote:

Isn't this kinda the idea of betas that you try things, that QA departments may not think to try or have the bandwidth to do, and then report back? Using VI Client at work with ESX, I like to use a single tool when managing my VMs so I now only use the WebUI for managing USB devices.

That is all fine, but VMware Server 2.0 RC1 FAQ clearly says that they are not ready with VIC yet.

• 13. Re: vmware infrastrucure client - editing not possible
                                  guyrleech Virtuoso

I am posting this for completeness/information rather than wanting to continue the discussion ....

The VI Client that comes with 3.5i update 2 (so presumably may be "free" to use with Server 2.0) does not allow editing of Server 2.0 RC1 VM settings.

I've also since found that the VI Client from ESX 3.5 update 1 will not allow me to view/edit the host's configuration (the whole "configuration" tab is missing when the host is selected in the left pane) so I have to switch to the web UI for things like manipulating datastores. The client with 3.5i update 2 does not have this issue.