VMware Cloud Community
sfont3n
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

move vc db

i have a vc server a with just app loaded. then i have a server a with the db on sql 2005. i built a new vc and sql server. i created a blank vcdb database. i want to move the db from server a to my new db server. when i do a restore of the db to the new server i get an error. anyone else copleted this task

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

What error did you get when you did the restore? As long as you restore the db to a new sql server, and make sure to change the ODBC DSN to point to the new server, you should be fine. When you create a new virtual center install, make sure you update the virtual center unique id to be the same as the old install.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

We recently did this because of the load the original SQL server had, I'm not a DBA, so I can't give you the exact steps, but basically we took the VC Service offline, our DBA did a copy of the VCDB to a new SQL server, this preserved all data including the unique signature that VC has with the database and all the accounts/password. This literally took less than 15min, then like it was suggested, change your DSN to point to the new SQL database, in this case you're just modifying the SQL Server, everything else stays the same, do a test login and if that works, start up your VC Services. You do not need to create a blank VCDB and I'm wondering if that caused an error as that becomes a different instance than the one you had because I believe theres a special signature it creates for each VCDB instance. You should really just replicate using SQL tools and just install a new VC if you need to and just create a DSN pointing to SQL Server.

0 Kudos
sfont3n
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i just copied the mdf and ldf files to new server and it worked.

0 Kudos
HyperSprite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you are moving VC 2.5, make sure you also add the rollup jobs to the new db server, see kb http://kb.vmware.com/kb/100483

0 Kudos