VMware Cloud Community
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

vRanger and VCB - Disk quiesce

I'm currently running vRanger 3.2.3.4 with VCB etc etc. However I'm unsure on whether to enable or disable guest queiescing (from within the vRanger backup config) when using with VCB.

My understanding is that when VCB is used in conjunction with vRanger, the guest is first quiesced. In the vRanger manual it mentions that disabling the guest quiescing is not compatible with VCB, and the quiescing should be disabled if backing up SQL, Exchange, AD etc. Can it cause DB corruption?

The VM's don't have the Vizioncore VSS service installed either.

Can anyone please clarify?

I.E - If you don't have the Vizioncore VSS service installed, you are doing vRanger backups with VCB, enable VSS, enable guest quiescing etc?

I'm using ESX 3.5 update 1, VC 2.5 U1

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Message was edited by: java_cat33

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

From what I gather I must uninstall the file system synch driver on SQL and AD VM's etc (within the VM tools) when using VCB with vRanger (as guest quiescing will be enabled)..... correct?

0 Kudos
Cotay
Contributor
Contributor

I beleive disable guest quiesce was unavailable in 3.2.1 with vss but it seems to work on the beta release you're running. I just ran a test to verify.

On the same note, 3.2.3.4 still isnt allowing us to perform VCB based VSS backups with servers running the VSS agent in the VM. It errors every time. This is with the most current (as of tuesday) builds of the product.

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Just got off the phone with Vizioncore - what I mentioned is correct. Leave guest quiescing enabled when using VCB with vRanger, however remove the sync driver from VMware tools on VM's that have databases (AD, SQL etc). Also install Vizioncore VSS on database servers that are VSS aware.

0 Kudos
edawg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Regarding your comment about installing Vizioncore VSS on database servers that are VSS aware, do you know if MySql databases are VSS aware? I am putting in a large MySql implementation, installed on Windows 2003R2 SP2 64-bit vm, and would love to start using Ranger with VCB.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Sorry I'm not sure. I would advise to find out before testing Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
edawg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thank you

0 Kudos