VMware Cloud Community
mhoward1977
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Consolidated Backups

Hi,

I have just configured VCB with Backup Exec which is fine. I can successfuly snapshot and backup my guests. My query is that I was expecting to basically be able to backup the flat .vmdk etc files. Instead the process presents with a DIR for each guest VM and then within there, 2 further DIR's (digits & letters) which both contain the entire file system for the VM.

Is this correct?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You need to specify "-t fullvm " in your vcbMounter.exe command to use fullvm instead .

Backup Exec will work just fine with image level and file level. Just change your option type to fullvm and then make sure you have enough disk space to hold the entire vm's disk, and then you can backup the vm in its entirety.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ejward
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I believe that is correct. You can't do an image type backup with the normal Netbackup agent. I believe they have a seperate product to do that. Or, you may want to check out Esxpress or vRanger.

kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Depends on what type of backup you are performing. An image level backup will allow you to do full vmdk backups, while a file level lets you backup full filesystem as well as incremental.

-KjB

0 Kudos
mhoward1977
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It is the image level I am aiming for. My current configuration does not present this though?

I didn't think I required any further agents/plugins for backup exec. Am I wrong?

0 Kudos
conradsia
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You need to append Full-Backup or something like that to your pre-command to run an image backup. I can't check the exact command but look in the pdf for the command, there are examples and probably more on this forum.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You need to specify "-t fullvm " in your vcbMounter.exe command to use fullvm instead .

Backup Exec will work just fine with image level and file level. Just change your option type to fullvm and then make sure you have enough disk space to hold the entire vm's disk, and then you can backup the vm in its entirety.

-KjB

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This thread should help you out a bit: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/58818

-KjB

emklennert
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am curious about one thing with VCB.

Do we need to have Virtual Center Server to have VCB work if we have more than one host server? We currently have ESX Standard Edition running on two physical servers with six total VMs spread out on the two. Some of the documentation hinted at that. We would really have no need outside of that to try and justify the expense of the Virtual Center Server. I might be out of luck for image level backups using Backup Exec.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You should be able to point VCB to the esx host directly, so it should work, but I haven't tested it this way.

-KjB

0 Kudos