VMware Cloud Community
A13x
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

insufficient resources to satisfy failover level on cluster

I am testing esx out with two hosts, i turned one of the hosts off to update firmware etc and had HA enabled, the other host reported "insufficient resources to satisfy failover level on cluster" and all the vms running on the host which was down became greyed out. I am only running a test setup with 2 vms running windows 2k3 1gb each on each host, my question is, if ha is enabled and there are no errors on the summary page, why didnt the vms by default failover to the other host and why did the vms become greyed out. Iwas unable to do anything with the vms located on the host which were down. The vms are located within a resource pool each which has 4x as much resources allocated to them and there are plenty of resources left on the host itself.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

What are the CPU and memory resources for your ESX Hosts? WHat are memory and CPU setting for the vms? What are the setting for the resource pool? HA calculates slots by looking at the resources for the vms and if there are not enough slots remaining on the host(s) remaining your will receive this error. Also how many hosts are you willing to fail?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
A13x
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What are the CPU and memory resources for your ESX Hosts?

8x 1866Ghz

15Gib RAM

two hosts exactly the same as above

WHat are memory and CPU setting for the vms?

Memory 1024MB

CPU: Unlimited

What are the setting for the resource pool?

Memory: 10GiB

CPU: Unlimited

HA calculates slots by looking at the resources for the vms and if there are not enough slots remaining on the host(s) remaining your will receive this error.

Also how many hosts are you willing to fail?

Only 2 test ones

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

In your HA configuration, with two hosts, your configured and available capacity should be 1. You have two hosts, you can't fail them both at the same time. Check when both hosts are up and see how much capacity you have available. If the value there says 0, then there is a problem with your HA configuration. You may have to remove a server from your cluster, and add it back in.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos