VMware Communities
vmNewb35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Easy Question regarding cloning/copying (I think...)

Greetings. I would not even begin to know how I would search for this seemingly easy question.

I have a current XP build that I would like to use for different scenarios, without creating a snapshot and rolling it back. We have a coprorate XP license and I don't think this would violate it. I would like to be able to use my current image as both a test and development copy. Is this simply achieved by copying the file on the MAC and renaming it and bringing them up at seperate times?

For example, my main machine is just: chadprod

Can I copy this file under MAC OSX and then name it +chaddev +and see if anything I am working on breaks it and still have my +chadprod +machine to fall back on???

Or since they are really the same "system" will this not work?

As always, thanks in advance and I never faile to dole out the points.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A copy is separate and apart from the original in a physical sense so whatever you do to the copy it has no bearing on the original.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

With the exception of a Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine you can simply copy any normal file based Virtual Machine to a new location and or name and then double-click the Virtual Machine Bundle Package (If a Fusion Virtual Machine) or double-click the Virtual Machine's .vmx configuration file on a Virtual Machine that is not in a Bundle Package.

You cannot run the copy at the same time as the original on the same network without making it uniquely different both in terms of Fusion UUID and MAC Address or internally, Computer Name and SID. To change the SID have a look at NewSID

For Fusion UUID and MAC Address click "I copied it" then first time the copy is run and it will change the UUID and MAC Address. If you say "I moved it" it will not change those values.

0 Kudos
vmNewb35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

WoodyZ, thanks for the quick reply. Just to confirm that I am reading this correctly:

I can make a copy of it, bring it up at a different time, tinker with it and see what happens and then take it back down with no harm, no foul correct? Or, when I bring the other one back up will this not mess it up?

Seems to easy.

Thanks, Chad

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Seems too easy.

Welcome to virtualization! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A copy is separate and apart from the original in a physical sense so whatever you do to the copy it has no bearing on the original.

0 Kudos
vmNewb35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Excellent. Believe it or not I understand VI3.x very well....but the Mac world and Fusion are new to me. Any suggested readings to get up to speed really fast on Fusion and it's file structure?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

and the section on "Files That Make Up a Virtual Machine" in the Workstation User's Manual

Message was edited by: WoodyZ

As well as the other Documents at the VMware Fusion Forum