VMware Cloud Community
herkilstubin
Contributor
Contributor

Problems with "VMware VirtualCenter 2.5 Update 1 Build 84782" Installation

Hello,

i tried to install the "VMware VirtualCenter 2.5 Update 1 Build 84782" Update on my VC-Server, but the Installation Wizard did not detect the existing Installation. What can i do?

Curentlly installed Products on a single Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition:

VMware Virtual Center Server Version 2.5.0 Build 64192

VMware Virtual Infrastructure Client Version 2.5.0 Build 64192

VMware Update Manager Version 1.0.0 Build 63959

VMware Converter Enterprise Version 4.0.0 Build 62386

VMware License Server Version 2.5.0 Build 64192

I use the ISO-File from VMware burned on a CD.

Thank you

Achim

0 Kudos
6 Replies
HyperSprite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you install from the zip file before?

What database server are you running?

When you say did not detect the existing installation, is that in the begining or when it detects the database.

If it is at the database configuration part, review your database login credentials and DSN.

0 Kudos
nsusa
Contributor
Contributor

Make sure your DSN settings are correct. It will only prompt for a database upgrade - the actual installation files will not prompt for an upgrade. Make sure in the end that the buld or version number shows up as 84767 in VirtualCenter.

0 Kudos
herkilstubin
Contributor
Contributor

@HyperSprite:

No, i installed also from the ISO!

MS SQL Server 2005 Express, which is coming with the Virtual Center Server installation!

I thought the installation wizard is detecting the already installed Virtual Center Server and all of its components (Update Manager, SQL Server, Enterprise Converter,...)!

At the database configuration part i can decide to install an new database or insert the logon informations for the exisitng database installation!

@nsusa:

As described in the official documentation, i expected an installation wizard which is detecting the already installed VMware software (maybe only the sql server) and do an upgrade to it. See http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_35/esx_3/r35/vi3_35_25_upgrade_guide.pdf on page 51.

My question is at the moment. Do i have to start the installation, insert the login information for the database and go straight forward untill the wizard is installing the updated software, or do i have to uninstall the existing installation without uninstalling the db, or what is the best/normal way?

Sorry for my worse english.

Achim

0 Kudos
HyperSprite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You do not need to uninstall the original software.

Select the "Use an existing db..." and it should have "VMware VirtualCenter" already in the box (that is the default that was made during your original install). Login User Name should be the administrator account that was logged in at the time of the original install.

If you are not sure, go to the Microsoft ODBC Administrator, System DSN tab.

Select VMware VirtualCenter and click "Configure", click Next to show the login ID information.

Although it is grayed out, you should see the login ID that was used the first time.

Make no changes and press Cancel, Cancel to exit the ODBC Admin.

Once the credentials are in the VirtualCenter installer click Next, you should see the "The DSN points to an older version..." dialog. You should be good to go at that point.

0 Kudos
herkilstubin
Contributor
Contributor

I did it as you said and everything (Infrastructure Client, VirtualCenter Server and Converter Enterprise for VirtualCenter) was installed very well, except the Update Manager. When the installer wants to install the Update Manger an error message with "Warning 25015. VMware Update Manager could not be installed" is comming up. Google wasn't helpful in this case. Maybe the problem is, that i installed everything in one step and not every component (Infrastructure Client, VirtualCenter Server, Update Manager and Converter Enterprise for VirtualCenter) step by step?

0 Kudos
herkilstubin
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, the problem is fixed now. I have uninstalled the Update Manger and did a new installation.

Thanks to both of you

Achim

0 Kudos