12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2008 10:58 AM by wonkawilly RSS

VMware Virtualization Forum - In Orlando - Thursday May 22nd

juchestyle Master

Hey everyone,

If you haven't already heard about this event on Thursday May 22nd, you need to!  Can't make it to VMworld 08 in Las Vegas; you need to be here then for the next best thing.  Here is your chance to Network, to learn, to experience first hand what makes VMware as good as it is.  Do you have questions, do you have answers?  Best thing you can do for your career is to get involved!  If for nothing else, come for the food, but come out!  I know for a fact there are some exceptional speakers at this event, I can't wait!

DATE: Thursday, May 22, 2008

Renaissance Orlando Resort (Orlando)

6677 Sea Harbor Drive

Orlando, Florida 32821

DIRECTIONS:

Please click here for venue directions .

To update your subscription and language preference, please visit VMware Subscriptions

Thank you for registering for VMware Virtualization Forum 2008.

DATE: Thursday, May 22, 2008

Renaissance Orlando Resort (Orlando)

6677 Sea Harbor Drive

Orlando, Florida 32821

DIRECTIONS:

Please click here for venue directions .

Agenda

7:00am - 9:00am

Registration in Sponsor Pavilion

9:00am - 9:45am

Main Track: VMware: Welcome, What's New, The 3 Layers of VI

see details

9:45am - 10:30 am

Main Track: Industry Analyst - Virtualization 2.0

see details

10:30am - 11:30am

Main Track: VMware Customer Case Study

see details

11:30am - 12:30pm

Lunch in Sponsor Pavilion

Breakout 1

12:30pm - 2:00pm

Introduction to Server Virtualization

see details

Breakout 2

Enterprise Desktop

see details

Breakout 3

Datacenter Management and Automation

see details

Breakout 4

VMware Virtualization Breakout

2:00pm - 2:15pm

Break in Sponsor Pavilion

2:15pm - 3:15pm

Platinum

Sponsor / Customer Story     2:15pm - 3:15pm

Platinum

Platinum

Platinum

Sponsor / Customer Story

3:15pm - 3:45pm

Break in Sponsor Pavilion

Breakout 5

3:45pm - 5:15pm

Application and Virtualization

see details

Breakout 6

Remote & Branch Office Management

see details

Breakout 7

Business Continuity

see details

Breakout 8

Standardization: Org and Process

see details

Kaizen!

• 1. Re: VMware Virtualization Forum - In Orlando - Thursday May 22nd
          juchestyle Master

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to report back on this AMAZING, and FREE event yesterday!  I was really impressed, VMware put on a great show, it was just like a mini-VMworld with vendors, and breakout sessions, and speakers and networking and parties and special events!  And I really can't believe that this event was FREE and in our own Town.  I had a blast and really got a lot out of the third presentation by actual Customers!  Those guys were rock stars.  They talked about how Virtualization is a journey instead of a project.  I guess they constantly are finding ways to grow and improve with what they do.  I was inspired by their story. 

I also seem to get more out of events like this by talking with other techs in other shops.  I spoke with so many other vmware guys and ladies I can't remember everyone.  I always like to tell people, GET INVOLVED, hang out in the forums from time to time, get out there and meet other people who are working in shops.  Talking to other techs helps you to learn new approaches to similar problems, to think out of your own skin and improve!

Thanks to everyone I talked with who said hello, it was a GREAT event!

Happy hour with the VMware Reps and the vendors was enlightening, was fun, so cool social.

Thank you VMWare!

Go Green,

Matthew

Kaizen!

• 2. Re: VMware Virtualization Forum - In Orlando - Thursday May 22nd
            jamieorth Expert

Well, I thought everything was great except for those 2 guys from Florida Hosp......Ok, just kidding.  I actually liked Steve's and your's presentation.  I think what you demonstrated is that your really have to believe in the software and what you can accomplish with it.  I also really enjoyed the 1st lady from VMware (her name escapes me at the moment) but she really shows a passion for what her role is, and it does go to show that you get started with VMware maybe for one aspect of what you can do, but there are so many other layers....  It's been an exciting ride (or should I say journey??) and I for one am glad to be on it, and know that it's not over yet.

I would have really enjoyed some more technical depth, but you do get what you pay for.....I guess I should cough up the $$ and head to Vegas later this year.....  I did speak to two guys yesterday - they were behind me in line to get in and I overheard them talking about reading a thread for getting the Orlando and Tampa VMUG's together.... I said, "hey, thats my thread".  They seemed interested so maybe I should stoke that thread a little more and see what we get.  I just thing it would be very benificial and educational for all attendees.  More of the "This is what we do in our environment" kinda stuff...  I for one get more information out of those type sessions that the "Here is our product and this is why it is so great for you" type sessions....

Regards...

Jamie

Remember, if it's not one thing, it's your mother...

• 3. Re: VMware Virtualization Forum - In Orlando - Thursday May 22nd
              jrock321 Novice

Hey Jamie,

I am one of the two guys who were behind you talking about reading this forum.  My co-worker and myself signed up to be members of the Orlando Area VMWare User Group yesterday at the event. We learned quite a bit about the VMWare technology and are very interested in learning more. We both work for a local hospital and were very impressed with Steve and Mathew's presentation and how it directly relates to our work sector. I have been thinking for the last two years that what they have done at Florida Hospital could be done where I work, but I always got the same response from our vendors they initially got, that it wouldn't work. So I'm glad to know it can be done and has been done with great success. We are going to be pushing hard for our team to seriously work toward implementing a VMWare Infrastrucure. So I'm sure you will see/hear from us quite a bit in the future.

Thanks,

John

• 4. Re: VMware Virtualization Forum - In Orlando - Thursday May 22nd
                jamieorth Expert

If you don't mind me asking what hospital are you with?  It was nice to meet you yesterday and look forward to seeing you at the Orlando VMUG!!!

Regards...

Jamie

Remember, if it's not one thing, it's your mother...

• 5. Re: VMware Virtualization Forum - In Orlando - Thursday May 22nd
                  jrock321 Novice

Health Central in Ocoee

• 6. Re: VMware Virtualization Forum - In Orlando - Thursday May 22nd
                    juchestyle Master

Hey John,

Matthew here from Florida Hospital.  Thank you for the kind words on our presentation.  It really has been quite a journey and it is really starting to take off for us over here.  We are planning on taking the same presentation, but blowing it up quite a bit to VMworld.  Jamie we are hoping to tell more of our story, it is tough to get too deep into the technoligy in power point presentations.  And it is risky to do because some understand, some don't, some want overview, some want detail.  But, for the VMUG I think we should talk and brainstorm, I know between us we can hit a home run on a VMUG that would rock.

John, If you want to get started with VMware I would like to introduce you to our VMware guy and VMware gal, Randy and Patricia Jones (no relation)!  They have hit home runs for us at Florida Hospital over and over again!  I honestly don't brag about support and sales people, but under this context, they have become friends who care about our success almost as much as we do.  Let me know if and when I can introduce you to them, If you would like I am sure I can arrange for all of us (Steve Beaver my cospeaker and friend) and Randy and Patricia to all go out for lunch sometime and we can talk shop in much more detail.  We can tell you what we do, how we do it, etc. they can really be helpful.  Let me know John, there is nothing better than sitting down and talking shop with other great people!

Go Green,

Matthew

Kaizen!

• 7. Re: VMware Virtualization Forum - In Orlando - Thursday May 22nd
                      mcadmin Enthusiast

Thanks to VMware for another excellent event! This was a great place to network with others, especially for those who may not be able to make out to VMworld. VMware should just rename it to "VMworld Mini"

Matthew / Steve, Great to see you guys again! Enjoyed the conversations and best of luck getting accepted as speakers for VMworld 2008. Hopefully I will too and we'll meet up in Vegas!

Cheers!

Joe Suma

http://www.linkedin.com/in/jsuma

• 8. Re: VMware Virtualization Forum - In Orlando - Thursday May 22nd
                        Enthusiast

Glad to hear that both you and Steve made it out to the Forum!  And thanks for helping out Jean   I'm sure all the next VMUG meetings in Florida will be amazing!

• 9. Re: VMware Virtualization Forum - In Orlando - Thursday May 22nd
                          azn2kew Champion

The forum was really good and I like Andrea's presentation she is very smooth with her presentation even though majority of those info I've read but still interested.  Great things about the forum is networkings with peers and see new product solutions from vendors.  Steve/Matthew have presented very well and hilarious.  You two could be tag team for VMworld 2008 if selected.  Best thing about your hospital DR solution is the automated script Steve has built and I thought it was awesome when you express how it jacked out the server and see how it failover.

As mentioned, it would be much more exciting if we can expose to more technical or hands on lab just a few to those Site Recovery Manager or vmSafe products just for add-on values to the conference.  Again, it was a great show from VMware and that should be done more often! ENJOY.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

• 10. Re: VMware Virtualization Forum - In Orlando - Thursday May 22nd
                            wonkawilly Novice

Can you tell me what was included in the "free jumpstart kit" that is mentioned in the advertising for the vmware forum?

thanks.

• 11. Re: VMware Virtualization Forum - In Orlando - Thursday May 22nd
                              azn2kew Champion

There are products you can download directly from www.vmware.com for free like VMware Server and VMware Appliances and also few resources online you can get.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

• 12. Re: VMware Virtualization Forum - In Orlando - Thursday May 22nd
                                wonkawilly Novice

Yes, I know about those...but the promotional emails about the vmware forum mentions that a jumpstart kit is provided with free software..I'm just wondering what was in this kit?

thanks.