VMware Cloud Community
cabsalon
Contributor
Contributor

How to deploy a template in a raw device mapping environment

Hello

i am actually using exclusively the raw device mapping mode for creating my virtual machines.

The issue is that i don't know how to create and deploy a template in this mode,

each time, that i try to deploy a new vm, i don't have the choice for the virtual hard drive location and so it create a big vmdk in my small datastore.

I have read some articles about using the vmkfstools, but it s not very clear for me.

So, is some one abble to explain me how to deploy a new vm from a template with the both in rdm.

Thanks in advance for your return

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Which version of ESX and VC are you using?

0 Kudos
cabsalon
Contributor
Contributor

I am actually using ESX 3.5 and VC 2.5

0 Kudos
conradsia
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I don't know how to deploy a template to a RDM, but I can offer an alternate solution. Use an autobuild CD; create the new vm with the RDM disk attached, attach the autobuild ISO and power on. It will take the same time to build as a template deployment. N-lite is a free auto build tool for windows servers.

0 Kudos
cabsalon
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Conradasia

but it's not what i search , i have already try some auto deployement tool but it's not what i search.

i really want tu use vm template for all the advantages that it offers to me like easy update or modify

thanks

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

I've moved your post to the VirtualCenter 2.x forum.

0 Kudos