2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2008 8:36 AM by etung

Is VMWare free or not?

MPSilva Lurker

Hello,

I heard that VMware is not free, but in VMWare site I find all type the information saying that VMWare is free.

I installed:

Product: VMWare Server Console

Version: 1.0.5 build-80187

Is this program free?

1.2 "GPL Software" means GPL software licensed to you under the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation (GPL). A copy of the GPL is included on the media on which you received the Software or included in the files you downloaded, if you acquired the Software by electronic download.

Thanks;

Marco

• 1. Re: Is VMWare free or not?
          francois.tiers Hot Shot

VMware Server is free, but you can buy the support (gold/platinium)...

If you want you can buy, VirtualCenter for VMware Server,with this produc, you can manage one or more VMware Server

• 2. Re: Is VMWare free or not?
            Guru

It depends on which product you're talking about, and what you mean by "free". For example, Player and Server are available at no cost to you; in contrast, ESX, Workstation, and Fusion cost money.

Some people make the distinction between no-cost-to-you free and heres-the-source-code-have-fun* (* - possibly plus some restrictions) free. We might have a couple modules or tools covered by the GPL and which fall in the second category, but our products in general are not GPL'd.