8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2008 7:02 AM by Smurfo

Bad performance and lagging clock

Smurfo Novice

I recently upgraded the hw, reinstalled the os and did a new installation of vmware server 2 b2 and ever since i have a lagging clock and pretty horrible performance, if you look at the clock in the vmware session you can actually see it stop for several seconds at times and when it does so does all the programs running.

The host pc is a core2duo (used to be a non ht p4) running the 64bit binary on ubuntu 7.10 running the 2.6.22-14-server kernel, the guest os is 2003 server 32bit version with all updates and its the same image i used on the vmware server 1 install on the p4 only with upgraded vmware tools etc.

After some googling on the problem i have disabled all the powersaving features in the bios and added the following to /etc/vmware/config

host.useFastClock = FALSE

host.cpukHz = "2400000"

host.noTSC = "TRUE"

ptsc.noTSC = "TRUE"

before adding this i used to get tons of this in /var/log/messages and after that i was actually able to run it with for about 2 days with good performance and no clock lag.

rtc: lost some interrupts at 2048Hz.

printk: 249 messages suppressed.

Does anyone have any other ideas on what i can try or are there any debug logs i can provide that can help solve this ?