VMware Cloud Community
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unable to access a file since it is locked when starting up a VM ?

We are running three ESX 3.5 Hosts in a cluster with DRS and HA enabled.

After installing the latest patches for ESX 3.5 Servers, we are aware that there is an upgrade to the VMWare Tools.

In this way, I convert a Windows 2003 R2 Template to a VM and try to power it on. Unfortunately, I get the "Unable to access a file since it is locked" message. I have tried a number of times (Power On) but still get the same error. It is also the first time we encounter this error message.

Your advice is sought.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
ctfoster
Expert
Expert

I wonder whsther somebody has stolen your template vmdk and is using it as a running VM. Have a look at this very similar thread.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/909745

TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It is pretty strange as I deploy a VM from the template early this morning.

I find that the newly created VM is using the VMDK file of the template. It is the reason why the Template cannot start up.

Thanks

0 Kudos
ctfoster
Expert
Expert

Yep - maybe you used the 'Convert to VM' option rather than clone from template ??

0 Kudos
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No. There are 2 reasons

1) I have gone through the whole process - Customization including changing Computer Name and generate a new SID

2) There are 2 entries - 1 is named W2K3Template as "template" and there is another one named W2K3Server4 under the "Testing" resource.

Thanks

0 Kudos
ctfoster
Expert
Expert

So long as your 'back on the road' - thanks for the points.

0 Kudos
kurtwest
Contributor
Contributor

I have this same exact issue. Did you ever find the cause?

0 Kudos
TonyJK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dear Kurtwest,

It has been 4 months before and I try my best to recall the issue.

I find that the reason for the problem is because I cancel the customization as it reports that the CD Key is incorrect (I have misplaced another CD Key) when creating the customization wizard. In this way, the VMDK file has been created for the new VM (say NewVM.VMDK) but somehow, it still regard & lock the template VMDK file as its virtual hard disk.

From memory, I delete the VMDK files created for that VM (NewVM.VMDK), remove the New VM from inventory and make sure that the template is OK again. Then I deploy a new VM from the template again with the right CD Key. Then it works perfectly.

Hope it helps !

0 Kudos