7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2008 8:18 AM by Go_Adi

Vmware Server Beta 2 "only 2 CPU's per VM"

Go_Adi Novice

I'm wondering, if this is to change i can now mention what worked with

Beta 1 since Beta 2 is released, it was possible in Beta 1 to add this to the .vmx file:

numvcpus = "4"

Note: you could only select 2 cpu's in console but hey a little backdoor here and there puts smile in every face

for the Result see attached Picture .. 4 CPU's per Virtual machine .. Great

but since beta 2 this is not longer possible, i would "luv" this "Feature back" really ..

PLS ..

it worked like a charm on my server(s) ...

cu Adi

• 1. Re: Vmware Server Beta 2 "only 2 CPU's per VM"
          SMB Expert

Server is limited to 2 vCPU's per VM. If you could edit the VMX and actually have them use 4 that was a bug that was fixed. I doublt asking for them to put that bug back is going to work.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Vmware Server Beta 2 "only 2 CPU's per VM"
            Go_Adi Novice

i agree this is the definition .. but logically :

• once we had Vmware GSX,  1 CPU

• Then came Vmware Server 1.x, 2CPU's

• and now ... Vmware Server 2.x,   hmmm

i mean logically the digit should be a clear "4", i know this is a political issue since ESX3i basically does this 4way thing ..

wondering why the good bugs are fixed first ..

• 3. Re: Vmware Server Beta 2 "only 2 CPU's per VM"
              Peter_vm Guru
              Go_Adi wrote:

wondering why the good bugs are fixed first ..

Because for a free product this must be a priority.

• 4. Re: Vmware Server Beta 2 "only 2 CPU's per VM"
                Expert

2 CPUs per VM for Server 2.0.  Since we did not test for 4 vCPUs in Beta 1, I cannot say whether changing the vmx file made an actual difference in performance or was purely cosmetic.  Did you see an appreciable/quantifiable difference in performance when you changed from 2 to 4 vCPUs on that VM?  We tested/are testing with 2 CPUs per VMs as part of our internal QA test matrix and can quantify the performance gain.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Vmware Server Beta 2 "only 2 CPU's per VM"
                  Go_Adi Novice

Azmir,

i can confirm it was a performance boost and i agree with Peter_vm this was a backdoor i personally also use ESX3i and would if Server 2.0 supports 4Way cpu's not longer pay for esx3i ..

here some notes of our test we have a database (proprietary) with 800'000 records @ night we build an OLAP cube this process was running for 10 times with each configuration below the average process time of:

1. Server2.0 Beta1, 2 CPU's Bypass Debug  average time for cube to build 32 minutes

2. Server2.0 Beta1, 4 CPU's Bypass Debug  average time for cube to build 19 Minutes

3. ESX3i ... 4CPU's Same HW as above average time for cube to build 11 Minute

question is why is ESX3i faster then Server 2.0 Beta .. well ESX3i is directly HW integrated very small foot print own Filesystem optimized for VM's and yes is not cross palttform  (linux/windows host)

i like Vmware Server but this aint the "one" solution if you need high performance use comercial versions of Vmware after all they need to somehow pay their bills

cu

• 6. Re: Vmware Server Beta 2 "only 2 CPU's per VM"
                    Expert

Do you have the number with Beta 2, bypass debug and 2vCPUs as a comparison?

• 7. Re: Vmware Server Beta 2 "only 2 CPU's per VM"
                      Go_Adi Novice

Azmir

Sad but true .. nope we did not restore this task to beta2 reason we're running on ESX3i, beta 1 was out for a real long time so we closed this case ..

and we would need to convert the files back to vmware server but some other tests indicate a slight performance gain from beta 1 to beta 2 but this is as allways not meassured nor confirmed ..

sorry