VMware Cloud Community
crucialx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare ESX Licensing + Hosting

I've not been able to find the answer on the VMware site (probably missed it), however does anyone know what the license restrictions are with Vmware esx 3.5? Can it be used for selling Virtual Servers (monthly fee based)? This is with the once off pricing of $495

Thanks!

Aaron

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
eger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've looked into it and the hosting partner program is MUCH more expensive than the regular ESX licenses. At the time (about 6 months ago) I looked into it you had to commit to a minimum of 50 VM @ $36/mo ($1800 / month right off the bat) plus required Virtual Center at one time $5000 and required certification at $6000 and $1250/yr support. Pricing seemed way to out of line at the time and hopefully it has changed substantially.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I know other companies are providing hosted VM solutions - I do not think there is any special licensing required - so as long as you are properly licensed on the ESX side and guest O/S you should be fine - but I would connfirm with VMware licensing -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You'd probably want to get some clarification on this part of the EULA - http://www.vmware.com/download/eula/esx_server.html

VMware grants you a nonexclusive, non-transferable license, without rights to sublicense, to ... (ii) use the Software and each Licensed Additional Module solely for information processing and computing purposes, including the hosting of computer application-based services from a Virtual Machine and provision of such services via an internal or external network, provided such services may not consist of services to a third party that provide primarily computing or processing power (such as utility computing or grid computing) or any computer application-based service that is traded, rented, leased or sold on a Virtual Machine basis; and (iii) .

dpomeroy
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

They have "special" programs for hosting providers. VMware sales should be able to help you, unless they are too busy counting all their bags of money Smiley Happy

Don Pomeroy

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
crucialx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dave, thanks yeah thats showing it can't be used.... so not sure if we are or are not allowed to use it.

I know they do have a hosting authorized partner program, but I heard minimum spent was quite high (i.e. enough to buy a lot of these linceses) per month. I've contact VMware a few weeks regarding this, but never heard back.

If anyone could confirm either way that would get a great help!

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Arron,

Poke your VMware sales support and ask for details of their VSSP programme see this Server Virtualisation News article for a little bit more info. So the answer is yes they do do it.

Tom Howarth

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
eger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've looked into it and the hosting partner program is MUCH more expensive than the regular ESX licenses. At the time (about 6 months ago) I looked into it you had to commit to a minimum of 50 VM @ $36/mo ($1800 / month right off the bat) plus required Virtual Center at one time $5000 and required certification at $6000 and $1250/yr support. Pricing seemed way to out of line at the time and hopefully it has changed substantially.

0 Kudos
crucialx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does anyone know some I can talk to an VMware who can answer regarding the licensing of ESX?

Thanks!

Aaron

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Where are you based

Tom Howarth

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
crucialx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Tom, we are based in 2 locations - USA (Texas), and Australia (Sydney, NSW).

Regards,

Aaron

0 Kudos
crucialx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks everyone, this has all been useful. I got in contact with Mark Brown regarding the Hosting Partner program, and got all the info need. You can request excemptions to the EULA if you want (no cost, just time), and the Partner program as a minimum spend of US$1800/month.

0 Kudos
bluewhat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is interesting-- could you please clarify cruialx?

Are you saying it is possible to request an exemption to the EULA for no cost if you don't want to join the Hosting Partner program?

... and that the $1,800 per month only applies if you join the Partner program?

0 Kudos
rlaban
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've heard "rumours" about the possibilities for getting exemption as well. Yet when we contacted sales they said the partner program was the only way to go. Anyone able to clarify?

0 Kudos
beovax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you get anywhere with this?

We are part of the VSPP but the licensing modle only works for enterprise VM's. We want to compete in this market place offering "value" machines. Problem is minium cost of a standard VM license is more than what our competitors are selling at.

I read that you could get an ammeded EULA apon request, so you are allowed to use licenses we have paid for, contacted VMware and they said this has now been removed "thanks!!"

Only workaround I can see in the EULA is tha tyou are allowed to provide administrative access if you are outsourcing. We would be provising administrative access to resource groups Smiley Happy I guess this doesnt count though.

VMware are not really helping here, do they want people to use their products in this marketpalce or not? - I think they maybe getting a bit too greedy

0 Kudos
webstyler
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello

Yesterday we are on VSSP presentation in Milan (Italy)

We think VSSP 'may be' interesting solutions for provider .. but is too expensive

With this program is not possible to be competitive

I understand that EULA exclude hosting usage.. but why in the last 3 years VMware haven't clarify this ?

Datacented use of VM is not born yesterday..

I think that VSSP 'could' be a right way for offer legal hosting solutions BUT must be "more" competitive that normal licensing, because is offer as a service from Hosting provider ..

At this time is really "impossible" use VSSP for standard licensing, may be intersting only for enterprise plus license BUT when need low VM in many host..

If you plan to make more than 10 VM x host the budget is many many many expensive..

VMware pay attention : if hosting provider would like to offer virtualizzation may be choice another solutions.. Who could today pay MORE for offer same service of competitor that use normal license (90%) ??

We would like VMware change asap VSSP offer for make really interesting, at this time we look around (xen & C.)

0 Kudos