VMware Cloud Community
jamieorth
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Anybody use the SQL Lockdown tool on VC database?

My company uses the SQL lockdown tool on all SQL servers, including the one that has the VC database. We are planning to upgrade to VC 2.5 soon and was wondering if anyone had any issues durring the upgrade:

a) if the SQL lockdown tool was previously applied

b) after the upgrade, reapplying the lockdown tool - does VC still work?

Regards...

Jamie

Remember, if it's not one thing, it's your mother...

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's a funny thing about security. I had my server locked down, and had to open permissions to allow their scan tool to successfully complete the scan. And then I had to explain why I had the portions open that I did.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jamieorth
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Just going through some of my old unanswered questions and found this one from over a year ago. Wanted to see if a moderator could possibly move this to the Security forum or should I just start a new thread?

Regards...

Jamie

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is your sql local to your vc server, or are you connecting to a remote db? I've used a few different lockdown methods to go through my certification process, and it all worked fine for me. My db is local, and my vc is a vm, so I snapshot'd before making any changes, so just in case, I could roll back.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

jamieorth
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The VC server is a VM so a snapshot before applying would be a smart thing to do!! Sometimes you forget the simple stuff about why vmware is so nice. I will let our Security admin make the call on whether it is still considered a risk, after all its been over a year!!!

Regards...

Jamie

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's a funny thing about security. I had my server locked down, and had to open permissions to allow their scan tool to successfully complete the scan. And then I had to explain why I had the portions open that I did.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

0 Kudos